I think my fish is sick, what should I do?

Snorre

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There are lots of other fish in the tank, but only one is sick. It's an five year old goldfish that has lived most of its lofe in a bowl at my grandma's, reasently I kind of saved it and put it in a tank and gave it some friends. It was ofc bot doing to well in the bowl, looking like it was going to die at any moment. When it got in the tank it was fine for a while, but isnt looking to good at the moment. I was away on vacation for about 4 days and put some vacation food in the tank. When I got home the goldfish wasnt swimming much and just kind of lying on the bottom. Ot does swim around a little, but not as mush as fish usually do.
It looks like it cant use its pectoral fin and it has a bulge on the side that looks like it is turning white. I know that thats probably a tumor

By the way, the goldfish has never looked like a healthy fish, because of living in a bowl for 5 years. But it did swim around alot more in the tank.

I am sorry for really bad english:/

Last edited:

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A few questions.......
Can you post a picture?
What are your water parameters and what are you using to test with?
What size is the tank?
What kind of goldfish is he?
How big is he?

"Slow release" vacation food isn't good for the tank or fish, tmk. Also, it is possibly that he could be stunted from living in a bowl for so long, I'm afraid. Let's see what the others say.

Snorre

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your goldie either looks like a common or comet, but I'm no expert on fish I.D. If he's only five cm I'd say he's very, very stunted. Also, the tank he's in is still too small, I'm afraid. If he's a common or comet he'll need a HUGE tank or a pond.
What I would do is buy a liquid test kit, like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and test your water, it's also possibly that he's suffering from ammonia or nitrite poisoning. What other fish do you have in there and what's your water change schedule? Is your tank cycled?

I'd recommend reading up on stunting, as well.

EDIT: Just saw your latest post. 50% isn't nearly enough, especially for a goldfish in that tank size. Goldies are massive waste producers, so in that tank size especially, I'd be changing AT LEAST 50% weekly.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
as mentioned, your tank is too small for one goldfish and a 50% water change once a month is not nearly enough, especially for a high bioload fish such as the one you have. If it lived in a bowl for five years, it could very likely be stunted.

Snorre

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have any equipment right now.
Could it be nitrite poisoning even though none of the other fish is sick?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes. He may be more vulnerable from the stunting, though your other goldie is likely stunted at this point too. You can take a sample of your water to a pet store and they'll test it for you. Don't let them tell you "good" or "bad" - get the actual number readings.

Snorre

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok. thanks.
how big should a new tank be?
I have 2 goldfish, 5 black tetras, 3 kuhli loach, 3 ghost shrimp and 2 Chinese algae eaters ( bought thinking they where Siamese).

The fact that the tank is to small for one of the goldfish makes this terrible... :[
Do you know what kind of goldfish the other one is? Also, I could be wrong, but I think the CAE is going to be troublesome as they get older, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this one. What tank size you'll need will depend on what kind of goldfish they both are.

Snorre

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am thinking of giving the CEAs away, apparently they get huge :/

Snorre

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, but it is a little bigger than the yellow one and is white, red and black. It has longer tail fins.
Edit: I think I'm sure they both are common goldfish.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Based on how big the other one looks now, you could probably get away with a 55 gal for both goldfish at the very least (since they're both likely already stunted...).

I'd rehome both CAEs. They get big and aggressive. I'd rehome the loaches. They are schooling fish and should be groups of 6+, which is too big for your tank. You'd probably want to do a 40 gal breeder minimum for them.

Depending on the dimensions of your tank, it may be suitable for the 5 skirts and the 3 ghost shrimp by themselves (shrimp definitely, it's the tetras that may need more swimming space).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom