I Think My Fish Have Ich Help

1. AquaticIcthyologist

AquaticIcthyologist New Member Member

Yesterday, I was feeding and observing my Eastern Mosquitofish school, and noticed a few with spots on them. I immediately thought that they had ich, but I am not sure. Trying to be more safe than sorry, is there any way I can effectivley treat them without spending a lot of money? I quite literally have 4 dollars of spending money at the moment, so expensive chemical treatments are out of the question, as my parents will not pay for fish stuff.

I also would like a way to make sure whatever I d0 does not harm my other tank residents, consisting of one salamander larva, clams, snails, and aquatic plants. This is my NC Native tank that got infected.

Please help! I'm desperate for some sound advice from the forum!

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Valued Member Member

ncrease temperature to 30°C/86°F. With tropical fish, an increase in temperature to 30°C/86°F is usually very well-tolerated. Since this temperature prevents reproduction of Ich, it can theoretically cure the problem by itself. So the first step would be to increase the temperature slowly, 1°C/2°F per hour until the correct temperature is reached. This temperature should be maintained for 10 days, and then slowly returned to normal. Some fish can tolerate higher temperatures. If your fish are more heat tolerant, try increasing the temperature to 32°C/89.5°F for the first 3-4 days to kill the Ich. Then reduce temperature slowly to 30°C/86°F, and hold it there for an additional 6-7 days, or until a total of 10 days have passed. Gauge the heat tolerance of your fish by observing their reaction. (from Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish)

Check full article that i linked

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

I'm originally from NC myself and I know everything you have in your tank. Your mosquito fish are like guppies that are cold water hardy. I imagine you collected your critters from a pond that is fed it's water from springs and rain runoff. The mosquito fish might handle the 86 degree temperature for awhile, but the native clams and salamander nymph that is using gills until it's lungs grow may or may not be able to handle the higher heat and lower oxygen levels that comes along with it. But if you can't get medication, then raising the heat is your only choice...if you have a heater for that tank.

4. appcontrol

appcontrol Valued Member Member

I am not that educated about mosquito fish but would add that while temperature is up it would be good to put airstone in tank just for oxidation as you stated that problem.

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Sure. The airstone would create extra water movement at the surface where the oxygen is absorbed.