I Think My Fish Are Constipated... Help

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Cyclsnipas, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Cyclsnipas

Cyclsnipas Valued Member Member

I have a Harlequin Rasbora and Cardinal Tetra that appear to be bloated from constipation.

I feed them Cobalt Comm. flakes, Frozen Bloodworms and Fluval Bug Bites.

I've been feeding the flake food for years with occasional bloodworms as treats, however I've only started feeding the Bug Bites in the past week or 2. I believe these may be the issue so I stopped feeding them.

In the meantime, I've fed them mashed up peas in hopes of relieving the blockage.

I'm looking to change there diet completely and would love recommendations for high quality foods that contain the necessary ingredients to promote digestion health. Thanks!

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

hikari is one of the top brands out their along with cobalt.

3. OP
    OP
    Cyclsnipas

Is Cobalt considered high quality? I wasn't sure. I'm looking for food that contains the necessary fibers to prevent digestion issues.

4. AdamS

AdamS Valued Member Member

I’m not sure on what ingredients aid in fish digestion but I know when looking at the ingredients list in fish foods, Omega 1 seems like it would be hard to beat. It’s main ingredients are whole fish instead of fish meals which I’ve always thought would be better. I feed it to all my fish along with shrimp and bloodworms and I’ve never had issues.

5. OP
    OP
    Cyclsnipas

Thanks. I'll look into Omega 1.

6. Seth15

Seth15 Valued Member Member

In my opinion cobalt is a good quality food, some formulas are even specially formulated to aid in fish digestive health.

As far as your current issue with possibly constipated fish, make sure the temperature is correct and yes you are right, mashed de-shelled peas will help. Also fasting your fish once a week wouldn't be a bad idea.

Hope i helped.

7. OP
    OP
    Cyclsnipas

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I lost the harlequin but the cardinal is ok. So the pea helped at least one.

I figured Cobalt was quality, been feeding it for a while with no issues. The issues started after feeding the Bug Bites. I'm gonna cut back on feeding those for sure.

My question is how does water temp affect this situation? What is a correct temp?

8. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would make homemade food.

My food is kinda like a mush so is very soft and easy to digest. I also put peas in mine so none of my fish get bloat.

9. OP
    OP
    Cyclsnipas

Do u have a recipe? Being a DIY kinda person (im building my own Co2 reactor) I wouldn't mind trying at making my own food.

10. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I forgot how much I put in the food, but the ingredients that I used were:
    green beans
    peas
    carrots
    romaine lettuce
    garlic
    earthworms
    shrimp
    tilapia
    grinded pellets

11. OP
    OP
    Cyclsnipas

Do you just mash it together? Make it into a gelatin? Dry it out? Freeze it? Im very interested.

12. Seth15

Seth15 Valued Member Member

Temperature affects this situation directly. If the temperature is too low the fish won't be able to properly digest their food. The correct temp range would be from 74-79 Fahrenheit.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  13. Deniz Wilson

Deniz Wilson New Member Member

I used to do that but now I use Glucomannan Powder made from konjac root, it is commonly sold as a weight loss powder, it is very good 1 teaspoon will gel one cup of liquid and the fish eat it. It requires no heating or cooling to gel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice