I think my Cory is...

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by guppygrl, Dec 6, 2012.

1. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

Looking at my albino Cory... it appears to be pregnant. No clue how to tell the difference in sex but its belly is a bit rounder than the others. Do they get big when they drop their eggs? Where do they normally do that?

2. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I've had mine lay them on plants, ornaments, and the glass but I've never noticed mine to be unusually round. Although the females are certainly broader in appearance especially when looking from the top down.

3. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Can you tell I'm used to livebearers? Lol hmmmm wonder if she is sick then. Lights are out and they were just fed. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Egg layers don't get pregnant :)

You could just have a chubby cory. Wouldn't be the first.

5. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Newbie question... how does it work for egg layers?

I am not looking to breed them.. .was just watching and noticed one was chubby.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  6. C

What do you mean "how does it work" lol

7. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I think I'll just quit asking questions. You're giving me a hard time now! :p

8. C

I really didn't understand what you wanted to know. Do you want to know how the eggs are fertilized?

9. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

Questions aren't bad. That one just seemed pretty self explanatory. It works differently depending on which fish you're talking about and there's a lot of factors. Bettas, for example, lay eggs in a bubble nest that the male builds. He then fertilizes and watches over them. Danios lay eggs everywhere...and I do mean everywhere. Every male in the tank follows them trying to eat or fertilize the eggs. In the case of angels, they form pairs and usually select a particular breeding spot. I believe one member had a pair spawn on a magnetic glass cleaner. When it was moved the angels would freak out.

10. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Thanks.. yes I thought the fertilizing worked the same as live bearers... I didn't know how the eggs were fertilized. I know very little on egg layers. :)

11. C

Yeah, the female lays the eggs on a flat surface and the male comes up and sprays them down to fertilize them.

12. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

And what do Cory's do? I've heard of the bubble nests the Betta males build... didn't know why but thanks... that's really neat!

Ok.. lol you answered my question before I got it typed. Lol. You're awesome. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012
  13. C

Read my above post :)

All sorts of ninja posting tonight!

14. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

I'm on my cell phone so my responses take longer to type out. Haha

15. C

16. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Yup! Think I better go to sleep. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me on egg layers... I honestly had no idea how they reproduced. Now I know! Thank u!

17. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Wow! Long night for them!

18. OP
    OP
    guppygrl

Very cool video!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice