I think my clown jumped

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by mdlc805, Jul 27, 2015.

1. m

mdlc805 Valued Member Member

So I've had my new tank running for almost 2 months and had a pair of clown fish in my tank that were already paired for years from a friend. since I put them in they were always together but this past week the male would be on one side of the tank and female on the other. so yesterday I come home and can't find the male clown anywhere I think he jumped and my dog ate him he is no where to be found. I've read that they Typically don't jump unless provoked so I'm wondering if I should check for something wrong.
    Temp 79
    PH 8.2
    Ammonia between 0 and .25 can't tell
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 40 ppm

Also would it be a good idea if I got another clown fish if the one I have has been paired for years to another
    Thanks in advance

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear about your clownfish :(. Hmm. Have you checked around your rock work? Also, what's the tank size? There shouldn't be ammonia in the tank if the tank is cycled, unless something was disturbed and caused a small spike.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    m

Well I was told by my lfs the ammonia is because of the poor water quality in california because of the drought and shouldn't worry about it to much I searched high and low in rocks didn't wanna take them all out of fear he might be hiding and crush him but when I feed them that little dude would be the first one oat the top of tank so when it was feeding time he wasn't there. That's when I first noticed him gone when I was going to feed them

4. AquaticBrandon

What's the tank size?

5. OP
    OP
    m

Sorry 25 gal

6. AquaticBrandon

Okay. Were the clowns the only fish in the tank?

7. OP
    OP
    m

I got a yellow tang for about 3 weeks but he's not aggressive at all to the clowns he's also pretty small about the size of the female clown

8. AquaticBrandon

The yellow tang will need a bigger Tank. They swim a lot so they need a 55 gallon minimum. You don't have a lid on the tank? If not, it could be that your clownfish jumped. I've never had any fish jump before. My clownfish is really active and I have a lid on my tank.

9. OP
    OP
    m

Yea that's what the what the guy at the fish store told me when I asked him about it he said when it gets bigger it will need a bigger tank but for the size of the fish my tank is fine for now and I plan on getting a bigger tank once I move out of my apartment into a bigger place. So you think it could have just jumped for no reason or should I worry about my other fish I plan on getting a lid for it now to prevent this from happening again but if it jumped because of something I want to fix that as well

10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

I know I'm freshwater, so I can't offer you any advice, but I'm sorry for your loss. :'( :console:

11. AquaticBrandon

He could've jumped on accident. Yes get a lid on the tank, it will prevent any other fish from jumping out of the tank. Also, how is the other clownfish doing?

12. OP
    OP
    m

It's been hanging around the tang a lot well from what I seen this morning there swimming together but she looks health

13. OP
    OP
    m

since they have been together so long will she get depressed or if I try to introduce another clown would that be a bad idea

14. AquaticBrandon

Well that's good that the other fish are doing good. I think the clownfish jumping was an accident :(. I would get another clown .

15. OP
    OP
    m

That's what I was hoping it was an accident now I gotta get a lod and figure out how to pair mine with new clown

16. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Agree, need to move that tang asap. And check the rockwork.

I've never had a clown jump. What is your saltinity? Are the other fish fine and eating? Any critters in the tank like inverts? If you get a new clown make sure it is smaller than your current clown.

17. OP
    OP
    m

I'll have to wait to get home for salinity but I never top off with salt water so I'm sure it's pretty consistent
    4 blue leg hermits
    4 different snails
    1 sand star fish
    As far as the other fish they look healthy to me eat regularly
    I do have a lot of caves but I can see in all of them without moving rocks

18. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

I was just wondering if maybe you had an invert that might startle the clown at night but doesn't appear to be the case.

You should be able to pair a new clown, but like i said get a smaller one to assure it takes on the correct roll sex wise.

19. OP
    OP
    m

So I really don't need to do anything to pair them just get smaller Clown they do it themselves

20. OP
    OP
    m

Is that right they pair up themselves?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice