I think my Cherry shrimp is acting strange??

fishietank

My orange Cherry shrimp seemed to be acting weird yesterday. She was grazing but then randomly she appeared to just start swimming erratically. She seems to just start swimming upwards and then come back down vertically nose-down and then hit her face slightly on the substrate and then fall back onto her feet. She then starts to graze some more. She also has been swimming a little bit on her side and she been spending more time at the top water surface.

She also seems to be swimming more than usual but the other shrimp in the tank look like they’re doing fine.

I need to get a closer look at her back to see if she’s saddled or not, could this cause weird behavior?

I also do not know how old she is, but since I got her, I believe she’s grown so I’m thinking she’s still growing age.

I checked all the water parameters yesterday. I also did a 15% water change yesterday and the last time I did one, I believe, was on Thursday

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
KH & GH - 7

Below is a pic of her yesterday:

Attachments

• 623D7B10-DC24-42F5-935D-D6BE9B680A6A.png
    623D7B10-DC24-42F5-935D-D6BE9B680A6A.png
    792.7 KB · Views: 9

shrimpscaper

Does the shrimp seem more opaque that the other shrimp? Do you notice anything physically different compared to the others?

Upvote 0

fishietank

Does the shrimp seem more opaque that the other shrimp? Do you notice anything physically different compared to the others?
I wouldn't say that it looks more opaque than the other shrimp, but then again the other shrimp in the tank are red and not orange, so I'm not sure I could correctly compare them. Also the RCS in the tank are juvenile and I believe she's encroaching adulthood, if she hasn't already, so they're quite a bit smaller than her currently and it seems pretty hard to study their organs against hers.

Although I did notice a few days ago, her eyes seemed a little bit more dark grey rather than black? I'm not completely sure about this though, does that tell us anything?

She seems to have calmed down today and seems less restless.... is any of this weird?

Upvote 0

shrimpscaper

If the parameters are fine and you don't notice any visible fungus or parasites I don't think anything can really be done in terms of curing it. Sometimes they could move around a lot when trying to molt or if there's not enough food. If there wasn't enough food your colony would typically graze in a spot very shortly and constantly be moving.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fishietank
Replies
Views
willowb
Replies
Views
Shrimpee