i think my br parrot is a decorator

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ive been noticing over the past few days that one of my parrots is redecorating my tank.it will pick up a stone and place it on a green plant,kinda resembles a christmas decorating contest,it has placed them all over this plant and has nocked down a pile of river rock,and is moving them all nice and organized,it also is picking up rock and removing it,so that there is a hole in the gravel.is it preparing to lay eggs?or is this just a stress behavior?it really is fun to watch him/her do this.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Chances are your Bloody Parrot is in spawning mode That's the same behavior I see from mine when it's time You wouldn't think they would be able to decorate with their mouths and the deformity. Surprise! lol

Keep us posted

Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of mine has been doing that, as well, although I never did see any spawning taking place with the other two BPs in the tank.

It is pretty hilarious to watch, though. I'd love to see the blueprint he's going from.

OP
steveredlakefallsmn

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
no blu print there, its just going off the top of his/her head,its really funny to watch it try to pick up the realy big rocks,seems very determind.and is very protective of this area of the tank,goes after everyone,even the corys,and the bristle nose.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Steve,

It sounds like you're having a fun time with your fish. I have some that like to spawn inside of terracotta pots and others that move the river rock (my substrate) and form a bowl shape for the nest.

My females are usually the ones that will clean the terracotta pots for spawning, and it's been my males that move the river rock.

Their behavior at mating time can get pretty silly. Swimming in every direction. One will show off for the other, enticing the mate into the nest.

It's a wonderful process to experience Maybe you'll be fortunate enough to actually have some fry. However, don't get your hopes up too high as most of the males are sterile. That doesn't keep them from going through the process though.

Best wishes!

Ken

OP
steveredlakefallsmn

steveredlakefallsmn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks ken,it is great.but i have noticed an agressive behaviore in my br they are fighting with each other terably,so last nite i thought i wuold do a test on the water,thinking they seem real stressed,well the tests were way out there my ammonia is at 0.50,nitrate40,nitrite real high,cant remember exact reading at the moment.sooo i did a 30%water change and added some ammonia clear to the tank,after work i will test again and see were i am at with it,this all took place at 1am,so i did another water change in my other tank as well,the ammonia is high in that one as well 0.50,nitrate 5.0,nitrite0.wow what anite i had!!!very tired this am.also got a camera so i hope to get some pics to show everyone.wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 73 68.9%

Top Bottom