I think my betta is sick :/

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sadie- I am deeply sorry that you lost Rico, but please do not make any rash decisions yet as to not wanting to try again with another Betta. They are such great fish. Take a few days or even a couple weeks to think about it. If you do decide to get another one think about all of the suggestions that were given to you and get atleast a 5 gallon tank and try to find room for one. If you do get one cycle it first and then get your betta. Like the expression goes ' if there is a will there is way' to do something if you want it badly enough. That has always been a big motto with me. Again I am truly sorry for your loss. I too get very attached to my pets. I treat them as if they were my children. Natalie

SadieG

Reaction score
Well, I don't think it's just because of Rico that I don't want another pet. I had a cat before that I had since the 3rd day it was born and the cat died from cancer 9 years later. i never got over that to this day and its been 4 years since. i get too attached and while i know that death is a part of life and all that i just don't like losing pets (not that anyone does) and don't deal well with them not being there one day.

Like you all said maybe one day ill get another one but for now i think its better not to have one. anyways thank you all for your kind words and support, i know other people might think its a bit silly because it's just a small little betta but at least i know im not the only one that gets sad when you lose one.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don 't think it's silly at all. I just lost my rat, georgette. I cried! It was terrible. And no one seemed to understand because she was a rat and ppl are afraid of them. She was a clean, sweet, and friendly girl!. I'll miss her, and you have every right to miss rico! him being a fish has nothing to do with it!
~J~

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
(((Sadie)))

I will cry when Zen dies. Just the thought is enough to tell me I will. I think this quality, loving animals so much, is a very special quality that I wish more people had. Have you ever watched Animal Cops? I CANNOT watch it. I go into lil rages at the tv when I see abuse to animals. I bet you can't watch it either.

The first thing I ever wanted to be was a veterinarian. I 'job shadowed' that position from school. I figured out quickly that I wouldn't be able to do that, that I couldn't see the animals suffer...not even long enough to help them (and now I want to rescue the sickest Bettas I can find and try to bring them back and keep them healthy and happy...crazy heartbreak possibilty there...)

See, you're far from weird...or alone in your feelings about animals.

It's been a pleasure getting to you know you (((Big Heart)))

Happy Holidays hun. In your own time or not at all, what's right for you is right.

Namaste

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Any kind of pet that you may have no matter what it is becomes a part of your family. I used to have a cocker spaniel when I was a kid. We had him for 10 years. He died of cancer. The vet wanted to put him down, but my dad out right refused that because he was a part of our family and even though he was suffering we felt that he should die in his home and that is what he did. He died in his sleep in his bed. The night he died I actually thought he may have had a chance to make it after all because he was acting better and was even eating. And up until that night I gave him a hug and kiss and told him I loved him.That night I didn't do that because I thought well maybe he may still have a chance because he was acting fine. Well he ended up dying instead. I still regret from this day not telling him I love him and giving him that hug and kiss. I went to school that morning in hopes that it would help me get through the day. Well the subject in that class was about death and killing and I had to get up and leave in the middle of it because I couldn't handle it. It just hurt too much to sit there and listen to the professor when I was suffering from a loved ones death. I went to my boyfriends and he comforted me. I cried what seemed like forever. So, no you are not crazy at all for feeling the way that you feel. I'm sure that in due time you will get another pet when you are ready. Natalie
P.S. have a wonderful holiday season.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I am so sorry about your loss.
There is nothing wrong with not wanting to get more pets for a while after loosing one. They are our best friends and it is hard to loose them. But I think maybe you will find yourself eventually wanting another Betta or some other type of pet. It never fails with me. For now just know that it's not your fault Rico passed away. You did everything you could to care for him. Trust me, we all make mistakes the first time we try keeping fish...but in the end it is so rewarding. Just let us know if there is anything we can do, or if you have any questions.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sadie, it was really sad to read about your loss of Rico, our hearts and best wishes go out to you.

Seems odd to think of these creatures as something we own when, to us, they are dear family members.  And when one passes on, it's really painful.  It's even harder to lose one of our pets around holidays like the ones upon us now.  We lost a kitty suddenly and unexpectedly on October 5 this year, a special little guy named Lightning who was a littermate to his surviving brother, and my buddy.  Let me just say that Christmas is a holiday we celebrate at our house, and this one will be tough without my little buddy Lightning.  But experience tells me things will be okay.

With Rico, I believe you did the best you could to help him.  That Bettas seem to need so much more in the way of space and heat than we are inclined to give them as new Betta owners, is a fact not well advertised.  To find this out may have come as much a surprise to you as to us.  That doesn't help with the pain of losing Rico, but it does let you know that I'm not convinced, and neither should you be, that Rico died because of mistakes on your part.  In fact, when he came up ill, you sought help and that tells me you cared a great deal about Rico.

As to your grief, each of us will encounter and deal with it in our own way.  There is no tried-and-true method, the resolution of your grief will come in it's own time and way.  What I can say is that, time plays a role in helping us feel better when we've lost a loved one.  In my case, I can't say I've ever gotten over the loss of one of my beloved pets, but I have adjusted to their being gone.

Treat yourself well, Sadie; take whatever time you need to grieve the loss of Rico.  You are not different from the rest of us, and I believe things will get better for you.  And, someday, I suspect, you'll decide to offer your home to another little creature.  If you're like most of us, you'll be the happier for it.

Mike

SadieG

Reaction score
I think im better now that he's buried (yeah i buried him, couldn't bear to flush him) and i don't see him. A girl at work today was telling me she wanted to get one for her husband for christmas and i made sure to tell her in advance all the things you all told me so he would be happy and healthy for a long time. she thought that just putting him in a little vase would be fine because at pet stores they sit in those little containers. she is still getting one and knows now what to do to make sure he's happy so i was excited that even though mine wasn't able to live long mainly because i wasn't aware of how to properly care for one, at least this one has a better chance.

thanks again for all your thoughts and comments. i know its weird because its such a small little thing but those guys have so much personality that when they go you miss them like a family member. i think im better off without animals for awhile but you all have encouraged me to not give up completely because at least if i got another i know it would have a better life with me than being stuck in a cage or bowl.

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
SadieG said:
Just curious as to why he would be like this now and not sooner as I have had him for 4 months now.
Your Betta likely died from the difference in the type of water you used at work vs at home. I don't think the other factors like tank size and temperature killed him unless those factors also changed when you moved him home. I know you're still sad about the loss, but don't be discouraged from owning Bettas. You tried your best to find a solution to a problem and that's all that really matters. Even experienced fishkeepers lose fish once in awhile for mysterious unknown reasons and sometimes it's just beyond our control. For example I had a tiger barb disappear completely from a community tank overnight and couldn't find any remains the next day. I knew the other fish couldn't have consumed the tiger barb in so short of a time period since he was fairly large in size. I bought a replacement tiger barb a week later and all is well. I know losing Bettas are little different because they have their own little personalities but sometimes these things happen and you just have to try and learn from the experience.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom