I Think My Betta Is Sick

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by EllieBear1213, Aug 22, 2019.

1. EllieBear1213

EllieBear1213New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I’ve had my crowntail betta for a few months now and moved him to a new aquarium (yes it was cycled I have a API master test kit nitrogen was 0 but my nitrates have spiked a little since adding to the aquarium of be been doing water changes every 5 days to keep it under control. ) I think he has dropsies. I couldn’t get a clear picture of him but I found a picture on the Internet which looks exactly like he does. I’m setting up a quarantine tank for him tomorrow to keep him away from the other fish just in case. Can someone tell me is this dropsies? The red betta is my fish the blue one is more clearly what he looks like.

Attached Files:

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,212
    It's bloat. How often do you feed him?

3. Sheldon13

Sheldon13Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +258
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Definitely bloat. You should fast him for a day then feed him a deshelled pea the next day. Should help.

4. OP
    OP
    EllieBear1213

EllieBear1213New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay thank you so much I’ll try that

5. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    This is completely normal and to be expected. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates mean the cycle is working correctly. After you added your fish, the waste produced ammonia, which converted to nitrites, which converted to nitrates. As long as it's less than 40 (around 20, ideally), it's nothing to worry about.

You can also do an Epsom salt bath. About 1/4 teaspoon in a separate container per day gallon, dissolved, then add the fish for no more than 15 minutes. Epsom salt reduces swelling and is also a laxative. This might help him as well as fasting.
    Also make sure the pea is cooked as well as deshelled.

6. Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    2 years
    I personally just had a extreme bloat problem with one of my Discus. Was swimming upside down and freaking out. Gave him an Epsom salt bath and it's a bit extreme, but it was a very bad case and if it gets worse then you might have to do it which would be good to know. 1 tablespoon per gallon in some type of container/bucket, let them sit for around 30 minutes. Worked for me right after the bath within 10 minutes, never seen so much fish poop in my life lol. Started acting like his old self within 24 hours. But as
    @CheshireKat said, what she stated is exactly what you should do in this current moment. Btw high nitrates alone can be a huge culprit to bloat alone, just so you're aware. You may not have enough filtration to handle the Betta, or maybe BB established, because I can get away with not doing water changes on my Betta tank for a month. Nitrates will barely reach 20. Try not to overfeed as well ;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  7. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +492
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    In extreme cases (or with livebearers), yes, more Epsom salt may be necessary, I agree. This betta looks pretty dang bloated and more might be needed. Some recommendations online are 1 tablespoon but for a little betta, I personally wouldn't start with that so I don't suggest it myself. I think I used 1/2 tablespoon for my juvenile mollies.
    Be cautious!

Do you have photos from the top? I'd like to see how he looks from that angle. Sometimes dropsy does occur in the stomach expanding, but I find it usually causing fish to puff out, not so much down. Epsom salt, fortunately, will help with both dropsy and bloat/constipation, so either way...

8. Kielum04

Kielum04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope your beta feels better.. I agree with the above replies that it’s bloat. Also agree on fasting and deshelled pea. I would also recommend stuffing an epsom grain in the middle of that pea followed by big water change.