I think my betta is sick!

1. B

Biwstudent New Member Member

About a week ago I bought a male Delta Tailed betta, King Richard. He is in his own 5 gallon heated and filtered tank. I did not know about the cycling process he foreign I got him or I would have waited but hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Anyhow he's been acting very strange, I'll attach a video I took but to describe it he is very rapidly swimming against the tank glass. I at first thought he was fighting his reflection but his gills aren't flared and any changes in the lighting other than complete darkness (when he sleeps) don't change the behavior. His swimming is jerky and erratic, and he bites and the glass and his gills seem to be moving, but not flaring, frequently. This may be normal, I dint know. I checked his water parameters today. His tank's temp is 77 degrees, ph is ~7.8, the ammonia reading lay somewhere between .25 and .50 (I'm slightly colorblind so it can be hard to tell), and there are no detectable traces of either nitrate, nitrite, or chlorine. After testing the ammonia I replaced 1 liter of his water with new water and am going to test it again here in a minute. I also tested my tap with the ammonia drops which I heard can detect chloramine, but it detected nothing. He doesn't clamp his fins, is not lethargic, and does still eat rather viraciously. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, is wrong with him?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3nrm4VI9myg

2. alexaquatics

alexaquatics New Member Member

He looks perfectly fine to me. It just looks like you have a very happy and excited betta:) out of my ten bettas I have two that are very active and like to do little "dances" for me every time I come up to the tank. Nothing is wrong from what I see; it's totally normal. He's an awesome looking fish by the way :)

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

He just looks excited to see you
    I agree, I don't see anything wrong with him
    Beautiful betta by the way
    Edit: if your nitrates are at 0 then your tank isn't cycled..

4. OP
    OP
    B

Biwstudent New Member Member

Thank you, that's putting my mind at ease. I used to have bettas as a kid, and as many uninformed fish owners do, I had them in bowls or vases. :( I guess seeing a happy, active betta is just a new concept to me! And no, my tank is not cycled. Another unfortunate mistake of a new fish owner. I'm currently cycling a 20 gallon planted tank bc I'm determined to do it right this time! I changed out his water partway today and it did reduce the ammonia, somewhere between 0 and .25 ppm

5. PrinceOfPride

PrinceOfPride Valued Member Member

This kinda puts me at ease too. xD I have two bettas, and my red does the same thing. I was worried for a bit and thought he had some type of infection he was trying to rub off (but if he did, he'd be rubbing up against rocks and other decor and also have something on his scales. And he only does it during day time.)