I Think My Betta Is A Hermaphrodite

carnelian

Reaction score
Hellp everyone, new to the forum, and i am very, very confused.
I recently saved a betta from my brother who was starving her to death (her for simplicity) and i brought her to my house to live in an empty 10 gal tank i had with some shells and a snail. Shes doing great, she isnt completely black anymore, she actually keeps food down, she seems really healthy! Thing is, i dont know her gender. My guess is a doubletail female, but i cant be certain. A few things:
-No visable beard
-Has never flared at her own reflection (or at all really)
-Really docile around other animals and curious
-About 6 months to a year old
The big thing that has me jumbled up is that i dont think she has an egg spot. Ive seen her from all sides, and i have never once seen one, but all her other characteristics are very feminine. Anyone have any opinions?

Posting some hopefully better quality photos because the first couple suck
20180427_083533.jpg
20180427_083435.jpg

Attachments

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could be a female as the fins are smaller, but could be a male because no egg spot or the gill beard is burned.
Here is my Male Doubletail baby betta, his fins are bigger...
upload_2018-4-27_8-41-6.png

carnelian

Reaction score
My bad, i thought that hermaphroditic bettas were a thing. At least my conclusion of female wasnt far off
Sort of related, i didnt know beards could burn off? Ill have to look that up now

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to say it is a short finned (plakat) dt male that is nonaggressive, i have a dt male that doesn't flare at anything, he doesn't act aggressive even in the presence of females. The ventral fins are too long for a female compared to the other fins, it has no eggspot, it has a male shape/body.
That is a dt plakat male, females don't look like that. No eggspot, not female.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
carnelian said:
My bad, i thought that hermaphroditic bettas were a thing. At least my conclusion of female wasnt far off
Sort of related, i didnt know beards could burn off? Ill have to look that up now
The fish ike that I can think of is a clown fish ****

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
carnelian said:
They can get ammonia burns if the ammonia is too high, witch sounds right from the condition she was in before.

carnelian

Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds right, she/he was in a tank with brown water from not ever being cleaned, so a docile male isnt out of the question. However, will his/her color stay this dark? Ive seen a lot of male plakats and ive never seen any be this almost black color. I mean, its brightened up (it was previously completely black) but i dunno. If you cant tell, i havent had a betta in a very, very long time

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive had bettas for over 25 years. Im no expert, but I definitely dont see all the confusion. Males arent always grumpy, and sometimes theyre completely black. He looks absolutely normal.

carnelian

Reaction score
Ah, that's a relief. Thanks a lot for clearing all this up for me, everywhere else i looked has been very conflicting to say the least. One last question about his tail, i thought he was some kind of female doubletail due to what looks like a split down the middle. Is he some sort plakat/double mix? (once again sorry for my ignorance hahaha)

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
carnelian said:
Ah, that's a relief. Thanks a lot for clearing all this up for me, everywhere else i looked has been very conflicting to say the least. One last question about his tail, i thought he was some kind of female doubletail due to what looks like a split down the middle. Is he some sort plakat/double mix? (once again sorry for my ignorance hahaha)
Plakat means short fin, double tail (dt) is just a tail type. So saying plakat dt would be saying short finned double tail.

carnelian

Reaction score
Ohhhhhh okay okay, i see. Again, thank you all so much, youve all been very helpful! Thank you thank you thank you! DDD

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom