I think my betta has injured himself. How can I help him?

peapuffers

Before I go into detail on the issue at hand, here are some that may affect how I am able to treat him:
1. I am 13 and my parents believe that I'm harming my fish by redoing their tanks because I have told them that the fish may get stressed.
2. I don't have any money to spend like at all, and the most I could probably be able to do is monitor (and possibly medicate) him.
3. He does not have any tank mates that are fish, they're all snails.
4. The water is yellow because some plants have died and released tannins.
5. I recently redid the tank by putting in sand and rearranging the rocks to accommodate a snail that couldn't flip itself over.
With that all gone through, here's the deal. Hades is my ~2.5 year old betta fish. He hasn't been in high spirits at all, since he lived in a 2.5 gallon tank for most of his life. He is very low on energy as of typing this out. This morning, before I had gone to school, I checked on him as usual. He was fine, and that was the same when I checked on him after school. I left to go do a choir performance, came back around 2 hours later, went to go feed him, and the right side of his face was scraped (I assume). It's right next to his eye, and luckily his eye didn't get hurt. The only way I could think of this happening was that he rammed into the ohko stone scape, but that's strange considering he's never once been injured before. How can I treat this? I will try to get some better photos tomorrow.
You must be registered to see images

Here's some stuff regarding his tank:
I ran out of the test strips I was using about a week ago but the parameters were as follows:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
GH: 30ppm
KH: ~20ppm
PH: ~7.6 (from a different test strip but during the same week)
It's a filtered and heated 10 gallon tank with a temperature of 79 degrees. The heater is from Hygger and the filter is an Aqueon Quietflow 10 baffled with a piece of a plastic bottle. I use ceramic rings, carbon filtration, and a small amount of poly-fil in my filter to keep a couple of baby spider plants in place. The only plants in the tank at the moment are guppy grass, some tiny cabombas that are essentially on life support, and a sad tiger lotus. The inhabitants are Hades, 5 ramshorn snails, 2 nerite snails, and a mystery snail.

Tigerburp

Before I go into detail on the issue at hand, here are some that may affect how I am able to treat him:
1. I am 13 and my parents believe that I'm harming my fish by redoing their tanks because I have told them that the fish may get stressed.
2. I don't have any money to spend like at all, and the most I could probably be able to do is monitor (and possibly medicate) him.
3. He does not have any tank mates that are fish, they're all snails.
4. The water is yellow because some plants have died and released tannins.
5. I recently redid the tank by putting in sand and rearranging the rocks to accommodate a snail that couldn't flip itself over.
With that all gone through, here's the deal. Hades is my ~2.5 year old betta fish. He hasn't been in high spirits at all, since he lived in a 2.5 gallon tank for most of his life. He is very low on energy as of typing this out. This morning, before I had gone to school, I checked on him as usual. He was fine, and that was the same when I checked on him after school. I left to go do a choir performance, came back around 2 hours later, went to go feed him, and the right side of his face was scraped (I assume). It's right next to his eye, and luckily his eye didn't get hurt. The only way I could think of this happening was that he rammed into the ohko stone scape, but that's strange considering he's never once been injured before. How can I treat this? I will try to get some better photos tomorrow.

Here's some stuff regarding his tank:
I ran out of the test strips I was using about a week ago but the parameters were as follows:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrates: 20ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
GH: 30ppm
KH: ~20ppm
PH: ~7.6 (from a different test strip but during the same week)
It's a filtered and heated 10 gallon tank with a temperature of 79 degrees. The heater is from Hygger and the filter is an Aqueon Quietflow 10 baffled with a piece of a plastic bottle. I use ceramic rings, carbon filtration, and a small amount of poly-fil in my filter to keep a couple of baby spider plants in place. The only plants in the tank at the moment are guppy grass, some tiny cabombas that are essentially on life support, and a sad tiger lotus. The inhabitants are Hades, 5 ramshorn snails, 2 nerite snails, and a mystery snail.
Just up your water changes and vacuum the substrate,the wound should heal soon

peachsonas

I agree with tigerburp, keep that water very clean. Daily water changes if you need to. In addition, remove anything sharp or what you think he hurt himself on so it can’t happen again.

peapuffers

I agree with tigerburp, keep that water very clean. Daily water changes if you need to. In addition, remove anything sharp or what you think he hurt himself on so it can’t happen again.
I plan to eventually sand down the rocks if it happens a second time or there's a close call, but he's normally more aware of what he's doing. I'm going to watch very closely as often as I can.
Just up your water changes and vacuum the substrate,the wound should heal soon
Thanks! How long should I expect for it to heal, though?

Tigerburp

I plan to eventually sand down the rocks if it happens a second time or there's a close call, but he's normally more aware of what he's doing. I'm going to watch very closely as often as I can.

Thanks! How long should I expect for it to heal, though?
Doesn’t look too serious so 2 weeks maybe

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • Question
Replies
Views
allaboutfish
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire