I Think My Betta Has Dropsy

aced it

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My five year old veiltail Betta stopped eating a couple days ago and seemed to be more lethargic than usual. I didn't think anything of it at first because he's never had a huge appetite or been a very good swimmer, especially as he's gotten older. I checked on him this morning and he's puffed up, barely moving, and his scales are pineconed. He still tries to swim over to me when I approach the tank, but he won't even look at his food. He didn't look like this last night, but he still wasn't eating. He lives in an unfiltered 10 gallon long that gets 20% water changes weekly. He's been in it for about a month, and up until now, had been doing great in it.
Anyway, I'm not really sure what to do. I read that I could move him into a 16 oz hospital tank and try to treat him there, but most fish don't survive the treatments. I'm especially worried about him because of his age. I don't want the treatments to make him feel worse or for them to hurt him more. I don't know if he even has a chance of surviving this. He's very old and much weaker than my two other younger bettas. I want to do whatever's most comfortable for him. If anyone has any advice on if or how I should treat him, I'd really appreciate it.

Attachments

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aced it said:
My five year old veiltail Betta stopped eating a couple days ago and seemed to be more lethargic than usual. I didn't think anything of it at first because he's never had a huge appetite or been a very good swimmer, especially as he's gotten older. I checked on him this morning and he's puffed up, barely moving, and his scales are pineconed. He still tries to swim over to me when I approach the tank, but he won't even look at his food. He didn't look like this last night, but he still wasn't eating. He lives in an unfiltered 10 gallon long that gets 20% water changes weekly. He's been in it for about a month, and up until now, had been doing great in it.
Anyway, I'm not really sure what to do. I read that I could move him into a 16 oz hospital tank and try to treat him there, but most fish don't survive the treatments. I'm especially worried about him because of his age. I don't want the treatments to make him feel worse or for them to hurt him more. I don't know if he even has a chance of surviving this. He's very old and much weaker than my two other younger bettas. I want to do whatever's most comfortable for him. If anyone has any advice on if or how I should treat him, I'd really appreciate it.
I wish I had good news for you but I dont. That is dropsy. You can put him in a QT and treat the water with salt and antibiotics but the survival rate of dropsy is pretty low. I'm not saying it wont work but you have to catch it early on.

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve had two bettas with dropsy, neither survived, but I have talked to people who’s survived.

Dropsy is another symptom of an underlying illness, so the keys to successfully treating it is 1) catching it early, and 2) treating the underlying Illness.

I’d get a qt tank or something along those lines (something that you don’t care if it gets stained blue) and dose it with betta revive. Do epsom salt baths as well.

He looks pretty bad, so if he gets worse, I’d look into euthanasia, but aslong as he stays or gets better, he might survive. You just dont want his condition to worsen.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom