I think my betta has a tumor

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by hud316, Feb 20, 2010.

1. hud316

hud316 Valued Member Member

Awww man...reading this thread I think my betta has a tumor

I've noticed over the past few weeks looking face on at him that one side of him seems to have an internal swelling.

He seems happy enough, swimming away and still eating but I'm thinking now that this is the start of a tumour that he has.

I will try and get a picture and post later and see if anyone is able to confirm

2. OP
    OP
    hud316

My Betta is still alive but the tumour seems to be getting bigger and when resting he has to lie on the unswollen side, he is active enough and still eating - anyone know roughly how long I can expect him to live and if it does burst whilst I'm out/asleep will the tumour harm my other fish??

Heres some pics of him

Re: the pics of him, I put him in a clear container for clearer pictures and he is now back in tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Hud, I moved your posts out of thread.
    Your posts should get more attention this way.

I'm sorry about your betta :(
    My betta lived for a couple of months with a tumor on her sides. I just tried to make her more comfortable. Moved her to a 2.5g so she wouldn't have to try and navigate a large tank.
    Made sure she had tall silk plants so she could rest near the surface.

Best of luck.

4. OP
    OP
    hud316

Cheers for that Lucy

Unfortunately I don't have another tank where I could put him, I have him in a 10G tank which I have sectioned off so he has the use of 1/3rd of it.

It has plenty plants too but my mian concern is the tumour bursting and my other fish being put at risk...is this likely?

5. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

There is a chance of the tumor bursting like that but unlikely. I dont hear to many cases of tumors on humans bursting like that unless its internal. If I were you I would try to get a small 1-3gal tank and set him in it. Other then that all you can do is hope for the best and make things as easy as possible for him. I'm sorry....

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You're welcome, hud.

A breeder box or net would work, even a clean never seen soap small tupperware container attached to the side.

Just a guess, but what we see on the outside is probably only an indication of what the mass might be doing inside like effecting and pushing against the other organs.

:( It really stinks.

7. JaneAustenAddict

JaneAustenAddict Valued Member Member

The poor thing. It is always terrible watching our babies suffer like this. Best of luck.

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm so sorry he has a tumor. We're all pulling for you both!

9. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw, I'm sorry, I hope he at least feels a bit better soon. Just keep him comfortable for now, it's the best he can do.

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Sending lots of get well wishes your way!

Ken

11. hooxeii

hooxeii Well Known Member Member

It does look like a tumor...sorry to hear the poor dear's not well. Best of luck to you both!

12. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

So sorry....

13. D

DaveofTN Valued Member Member

I've always been told that when it comes to any kind of swelling, etc on a fish that it should be fed the insides of green peas just in case it's some kind of intestinal blockage?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice