I Think My Aquarium Is Overstocked Help

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by rleblanc19, Apr 12, 2018.

1. r

rleblanc19 New Member Member

Hey guys, so I have a 44 gallon high fish tank and I think it may be overstocked, because the nitrites are dangerously high. I keep trying to tell my mother that we need to move the fish until the tank gets back to normal parameters, but she keeps saying things like " I had fish for 20 years, I know what I'm doing!" So this is what we have in there:
    1 Paradise fish (Not fully grown)
    1 Betta (Juvenile)
    2 Calico Fantail Goldfish (Both about 2-3 inches not including their tail)
    1 Black Moor (About 4 inches not including tail)
    2 Apple snails
    1 Siamese Algae Eater (About 1.25")
    4 Platies (about 1.5-2 inches each)
    1 'Feeder' Guppy (about 1 inch)
    There's also some golden pathos and some ivy in the tank.
    We used to have an African Dwarf frog, but it died this morning, and we got two algae eaters, one of which died the day after we got it. I keep telling her that the water is terrible and she's like "Well what do you want me to do?!

2. abijitto

abijitto Valued Member Member

Whatever you do, first remove the goldfishes! All the other fish you have are tropical fishes but goldfish is a cold water fish! They can't stay healthy together even if alive. This is something many people don't consider but you must do it ASAP! To add, goldfish are the most responsible for dirty water in your tank. They eat a lot and poop a lot, much more than any other fish in your tank! They also spread diseases though not always the case. If you remove your goldfishes, you will be removing a lot of load from your tank. Things will certainly get easier to handle! I wish none of your fish die anymore. Thanks!

3. OP
    OP
    r

Thanks so much for your advice, but the goldfish are my mom's. She isn't gonna let me move them no matter what. The tank is about 74°F and heavily planted. Another thing is that we have very hard water, I don't know if that's a really bad thing, we can't really change that. I have another tank, 55 gallons, that has substrate, some fake plants, water (obviously), a heater, and a couple spare powerheads, no filter though. I've been doing some phantom feeding, trying to get the ammonia up for the bacteria, and I've been trying to seed the tank with some gravel from my betta sorority. Is this a terrible idea to do without a filter? The water parameters are slightly better than the 44 gallon. I had two 10 gallon filters running on it, but they unfortunately broke because sand substrate and they were too close to the sand. I really don't want my fish to die, so should I move the fish? I'm planning on getting a filter by the end of the month.

4. abijitto

For your first question, you can add the gravel but make sure they are clean and free from diseases. If they are from an old and cycled tank, this may even make the condition better as they would be carrying a lot of beneficial bacteria. I forgot to say something. Sorry about that but it is a very necessary thing to do at this stage of your tank. Do you make water changes? To facilitate the growth of bacteria so that they can take over ammonia and nitrites, you need to make partial water changes (I used to do 50 every other day) until the water eventually starts to stay clear on it's own. Now, for your second question, if you have got a heater in the other tank, you can move the tropical fishes there. But, you will definitely need a filter. Get it first! If you can't do that then you may need to make daily water changes depending on the quality of the water in the tank. If you have sand substrate then try a different kind of filter. Thanks and reply soon!

5. OP
    OP
    r

Thanks! I am getting a filter today, I got an Emperor 400B off craigslist for $20, but of course it didn't work (which sucks, cause it's an amazing filter, so I'm getting my money back for that. And then today I'm getting a Marineland Penguin 200 Biowheel Power Filter, for 50 gallon tanks (new). And I've been doing small water changes. They're currently in the tank, because now the goldfish tank is too cold for them. The only kind of filtration that I have (this is pathetic and useless, I know) Is a filter pack with carbon in it, simply sitting at the end of the tank.

6. abijitto

Happy to hear that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice