I Think My Aquarium Is Leaking?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Suga, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Suga

SugaValued MemberMember

I've got a betta in a 10 gallon tank, and yesterday I noticed that there was water coming from the bottom. I wiped it up and left the towel there, but today I've noticed that it's even more soaked. There aren't any obvious cracks so I'm wondering if this is a silicone issue?
    How do I go about this situation? Do I put my fish in another container/tank temporarily? Will my cycled tank be disrupted? If it is a silicone issue, how do I fix it? And if it's not cracked but doesn't seem to be a silicone issue either, what else could it be?
    Thanks!

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

In my experience, check the filter to make sure that hasn't cracked. Often times it's that and not the aquarium.

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

4. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Has water left the aquarium? Check the filter if its not that empty the tank and fill it with just water and try to find the crack/leak/issue

5. OP
    OP
    Suga

SugaValued MemberMember

I've got a sponge filter so I doubt it's the filter. Thank you anyways!

No airstone, I'm using a sponge filter though.

Yeah there's water pooling around the bottom and every time I wipe it with the towel, more appears after some time. Do I throw away the tank water when emptying? I just cycled my tank so it's not very established.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Asked cause airstones often cause water to leak from the lid without noticing

7. OP
    OP
    Suga

SugaValued MemberMember

Mine doesn't have a lid, and the water is pooling from underneath the tank. There's always some evaporation, but the water level is dropping faster than it usually does.

8. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I sounds like you are due for a new tank. You can save your cycle by moving everything over to the new tank. If you want to try to save this tank you can move your betta and everything in his tank over to a holding container (if you have a plastic storage container it would work as a temp tank) I have used a large sterlite container as a grow out tank so if cleaned well they are fish safe.

I am sure you can find a you tube video as to how to replace the silicone but you will have to allow it to dry for a few days before you can set it back up so your betta will be in the temp tank for several days.

9. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

We need to find where/whats leaking first

10. OP
    OP
    Suga

SugaValued MemberMember

I've only had this tank filled for like, 3 months :( I'll try to figure out what exactly is leaking, I hope it's the silicone so it could be saved.

All I can see is that water keeps pooling at the bottom. It might be coming out from the black frame. There's a black plastic "frame" across the bottom and top and it looks like the water is squeezing out from between the glass and frame. I'm not completely sure exactly where it's coming from though.

11. SegiDream

SegiDreamWell Known MemberMember

You can use a cheap, new plastic tote box as a temporary "tank" if you want to break this one down before disaster... move the water and the filter etc over into it.

12. OP
    OP
    Suga

SugaValued MemberMember

Thank you, I actually just got a new tank to spare me the headache. I had thought about plastic totes but I was worried if it was safe. Now I know!

13. ralph113

ralph113Well Known MemberMember

did u check uf your filter is leaking?

14. OP
    OP
    Suga

SugaValued MemberMember

I have a sponge filter.
    Also, I'm pretty sure it's a silicone issue as there was basically no silicone on one side. We've patched it up and we're waiting for it to cure and air out. Once it's ready to be filled up, I guess I'll find out if I've fixed it or not. For the meantime, betta has a new tank :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice