I Think My Aquarium Is Leaking?

Suga

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've got a betta in a 10 gallon tank, and yesterday I noticed that there was water coming from the bottom. I wiped it up and left the towel there, but today I've noticed that it's even more soaked. There aren't any obvious cracks so I'm wondering if this is a silicone issue?
How do I go about this situation? Do I put my fish in another container/tank temporarily? Will my cycled tank be disrupted? If it is a silicone issue, how do I fix it? And if it's not cracked but doesn't seem to be a silicone issue either, what else could it be?
Thanks!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my experience, check the filter to make sure that hasn't cracked. Often times it's that and not the aquarium.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Has water left the aquarium? Check the filter if its not that empty the tank and fill it with just water and try to find the crack/leak/issue

Suga

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my experience, check the filter to make sure that hasn't cracked. Often times it's that and not the aquarium.
I've got a sponge filter so I doubt it's the filter. Thank you anyways!

Is there an airstone in?
No airstone, I'm using a sponge filter though.

Has water left the aquarium? Check the filter if its not that empty the tank and fill it with just water and try to find the crack/leak/issue
Yeah there's water pooling around the bottom and every time I wipe it with the towel, more appears after some time. Do I throw away the tank water when emptying? I just cycled my tank so it's not very established.

Suga

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Asked cause airstones often cause water to leak from the lid without noticing
Mine doesn't have a lid, and the water is pooling from underneath the tank. There's always some evaporation, but the water level is dropping faster than it usually does.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I sounds like you are due for a new tank. You can save your cycle by moving everything over to the new tank. If you want to try to save this tank you can move your betta and everything in his tank over to a holding container (if you have a plastic storage container it would work as a temp tank) I have used a large sterlite container as a grow out tank so if cleaned well they are fish safe.

I am sure you can find a you tube video as to how to replace the silicone but you will have to allow it to dry for a few days before you can set it back up so your betta will be in the temp tank for several days.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've got a sponge filter so I doubt it's the filter. Thank you anyways!

No airstone, I'm using a sponge filter though.

Yeah there's water pooling around the bottom and every time I wipe it with the towel, more appears after some time. Do I throw away the tank water when emptying? I just cycled my tank so it's not very established.
We need to find where/whats leaking first

Suga

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I sounds like you are due for a new tank. You can save your cycle by moving everything over to the new tank. If you want to try to save this tank you can move your betta and everything in his tank over to a holding container (if you have a plastic storage container it would work as a temp tank) I have used a large sterlite container as a grow out tank so if cleaned well they are fish safe.

I am sure you can find a you tube video as to how to replace the silicone but you will have to allow it to dry for a few days before you can set it back up so your betta will be in the temp tank for several days.
I've only had this tank filled for like, 3 months I'll try to figure out what exactly is leaking, I hope it's the silicone so it could be saved.

We need to find where/whats leaking first
All I can see is that water keeps pooling at the bottom. It might be coming out from the black frame. There's a black plastic "frame" across the bottom and top and it looks like the water is squeezing out from between the glass and frame. I'm not completely sure exactly where it's coming from though.

SegiDream

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can use a cheap, new plastic tote box as a temporary "tank" if you want to break this one down before disaster... move the water and the filter etc over into it.

Suga

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can use a cheap, new plastic tote box as a temporary "tank" if you want to break this one down before disaster... move the water and the filter etc over into it.
Thank you, I actually just got a new tank to spare me the headache. I had thought about plastic totes but I was worried if it was safe. Now I know!

ralph113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've got a betta in a 10 gallon tank, and yesterday I noticed that there was water coming from the bottom. I wiped it up and left the towel there, but today I've noticed that it's even more soaked. There aren't any obvious cracks so I'm wondering if this is a silicone issue?
How do I go about this situation? Do I put my fish in another container/tank temporarily? Will my cycled tank be disrupted? If it is a silicone issue, how do I fix it? And if it's not cracked but doesn't seem to be a silicone issue either, what else could it be?
Thanks!
did u check uf your filter is leaking?

Suga

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
did u check uf your filter is leaking?
I have a sponge filter.
Also, I'm pretty sure it's a silicone issue as there was basically no silicone on one side. We've patched it up and we're waiting for it to cure and air out. Once it's ready to be filled up, I guess I'll find out if I've fixed it or not. For the meantime, betta has a new tank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom