Help I think my Angel has Hole in the Head. Help please!

snipperrr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi! Today I noticed a small hole or divot on my angels head. Recently, he stopped eating and moving around a lot, but within the last few days he started aggressively eating and acting normal. I don’t know why it would start if it seems he is getting healthier but anyway I need help. Here’s a picture and more will be attached. It’s up and to the right of his eye
image.jpg

I don’t know what to do and have never seen this so please help. I have a small hospital tank ready if I need it. I also have a bottle of Pimafix at home already. Please help me and tell me what to do.
Here is all the info for the emergency template if it’s needed :

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 29g
How long has the tank been running? 6 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 3 angels, 5 guppies, 2 harlequin rasbora, 1 otto, 1 mystery snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? tetra aquasafe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: doesnt say on the strips i use, but should be low
Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: 0
Total Hardness: 300 (I live in a desert so its really hard)
Chlorine: 0
Total Alkalinity: 80
pH: 8 ish

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1-2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? they eat it all in like 1.5 min
What brand of food do you feed your fish? tetra flakes and blood worms
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? already did above
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? explained above

Attachments

Best Answer - View Ghelfaire's answer

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It doesn't look too bad, you probably caught it at the beginning OR it could just be an injury.

Angelfish are cichlids, have you noticed any territorial or attempted breeding behavior?
29g is going to be a bit small for 3 angelfish in the long run. They get quite tall.

In the meantime you can try adding a bit of aquarium salt to see if it helps. Stress coat is another thing you might want to look into.

OP
snipperrr

snipperrr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ghelfaire said:
It doesn't look too bad, you probably caught it at the beginning OR it could just be an injury.

Angelfish are cichlids, have you noticed any territorial or attempted breeding behavior?
29g is going to be a bit small for 3 angelfish in the long run. They get quite tall.

In the meantime you can try adding a bit of aquarium salt to see if it helps. Stress coat is another thing you might want to look into.
nothing territorial. that one is like 6 months old and the other two are still like 2 inches long so i dont think they can breed yet.
do you think that i should move him into a seperate tank and/ or use medicine? the only medicine i have on me right now is pima fix.
i could also use salt in the seperate tank because i have an oto which i heard salt can kill. ive never dealt with this before so idk what to do

Pwilly07

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If it is hith and I am not sure if it is or not, general cure will take it out. You can also look for products that contain metronidazole which is one of the ingredients in general cure. Fritz Aquatucs has a medication that is pretty much identical to general cure and you get double the meds for the same price or even a little cheaper.

New Threads