Question I think it's Planaria, But I'm not sure?

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is my 90G Oscar tank. I keep the light on the blue setting when it is on because otherwise Oscar just likes to fight his/her reflection 24/7. Yesterday I did a cleaning on the tank and initially I thought what I saw clinging to the back wall were floating particles that had stuck (which happens in this tank, as I do overfeed). Until I really focused on them and noticed they were moving on their own, similar to how millipedes do. The sheer number of them is what is surprising me most. I hadn't really algae scrubbed the tank until yesterday (for a good 4 months - just water changes) So I hadn't paid much mind to the stickies on the glass.

This tank has inert everything, the only additional inhabitants I've added were feeder goldfish (twice at 20 both times) and crayfish here and there. I have fake plants, fake decor, and colored gravel. Shining a flashlight through them (trying to look at head shape to no avail) They look as if they have a thin opac body center surrounded by a gel-like layer.

So, is this planaria? Or should I be concerned? What do my fellow fishlorians think?

Attachments

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think it is planaria. That looks like an explosion of flatworms to me. Besides, even if it is planaria, you really have nothing to worry about. Planaria can only harm fish fry and shrimp.

OP
FishGirl38

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well...planaria is a type of flatworm?

And I was asking because I know planaria and detritus worms are okay, but if this is some kind of parasite, I need to medicate like, yesterday, the amount of them is appalling...

If its not planaria, what could they be?

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FishGirl38 said:
Well...planaria is a type of flatworm?

And I was asking because I know planaria and detritus worms are okay, but if this is some kind of parasite, I need to medicate like, yesterday, the amount of them is appalling...

If its not planaria, what could they be?
Yes, planaria is a type of flatworm, but there are other flatworms that can be found that are not planaria and are harmless. Planaria can grow up to an inch long, and what I see in your photos are just a couple millimeters.

I see what you are asking now. I am not aware of any type of parasite that can be seen to the naked eye.

OP
FishGirl38

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Im just trying to figure out if its harmful to me or fish. (Mainly me, given the number, ive considered that if it were harmful, my fish would be riddled with it)

And what it is if its not. If it has a workable function in the tank (like eating leftover food) and its harmless, than ill leave it be.

But if it doesnt have a good function, or can be harmful to me than I want to get rid of them, theyre not fun to look at.

If its not planaria, than what could it be...Ill check some more through google too.

OP
FishGirl38

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Things like fish lice and flukes are visable to the naked eye. Worms would likely be too although, typically they infect internally..so we wouldnt be able to physically 'see' them.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom