I Think It May Be Neon Tetra Disease?

Goldiemom
Can someone tell me what this is on my Tetra? He acts fine but he has something that looks like it’s hanging on his mouth. Doesn’t look cottony but more like a growth or pimple. Started treating with Seachem Sulfaplex. Test were 0 ammonia, o nitrites, and 40 nitrates but also tank cleaning day so I have done a 50% w/c before medicating.

Attachments

• 44850B7B-5C59-43F6-B0D4-566335A37C3A.jpeg
    44850B7B-5C59-43F6-B0D4-566335A37C3A.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 6810A2F0-A96A-433F-B88E-0640A396A527.jpeg
    6810A2F0-A96A-433F-B88E-0640A396A527.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 848EFF62-3817-437F-878E-F8AD7A4BF28D.jpeg
    848EFF62-3817-437F-878E-F8AD7A4BF28D.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 125
Iverg1
Look like a fungal infection I found that says cotton mouth doesn’t look like it though. Could be something else. I suggest quartineing him away from other fish change the water 100% treat him with stuff you have

Goldiemom
I’m treating the entire tank since he’s been in there with them for months.

Iverg1
That good

Fanatic
Might it be a fungus or NTD? Possibly a bacterial problem.
I would treat the tank, and see how it goes.

Iverg1
It’s probley a growth signaling to a bacterial infection

Fanatic
It’s probley a growth signaling to a bacterial infection

Yes, I did specify that it was probably a fungus.

Goldiemom
Ok. Now that I am totally confused, I guess I’ll treat as I was. Thanks for answering though. I do appreciate it.

Iverg1
Sorry for confusing just quartine him and treat him and the tank

Rtessy
Try looking at columnaris, kanaplex is a good medication for that. Also, cotton mouth is a name for columnaris, but it is actually a bacterial infection. I believe there is also a neon tetra disease that can present in a couple of different ways, but I don't think there's a cure for that.

Iverg1
I don’t thinks it cotton mouth because Goldiemom said
Doesn’t look cottony but more like a growth or pimple.

Rtessy
Sorry, I had just heard it could present in a few different ways, and I wasn't sure what all of them were

Goldiemom
OK, Gang...I am really worried about this neon tetra and the rest of the tank. The growth is not going down and I know I have only been treating for 3 days but he looks like he is trying to eat but then spits it out. I don't know if his mouth hurts or why he is spitting it back out. I'm going to keep trying with the Sulfaplex a few more days but if he gets to where he is wasting away I am going to have to euthanize him. I have never done that and don't want to now. Any other ideas? I have ordered the clove oil just in case but I sure would like to cure him. I hate to contaminate the whole tank but figure I better treat everyone. I just don't know what to do.

When I bought my first group of neon’s Several months ago they quickly got cloudy spots on their fins and tails. It has never gone away. Then they started getting faded areas in their red stripe. Now one of them has a growth on its lip. The rest of the tetras I purchased later from my local LFS are very vibrant in color and have no fin or tail issues. Today one of the older ones looks more faded. I QT the one with the fade and the one with growth. I have one more I can’t catch yet that has cloudy tale spots too. I was treating for Columnaris but now leaning towards NTD. Should I continue to use treatment or euthanize the ones that don’t look right?

Attachments

• 9766316A-B9D8-4344-9367-F54341C18CCA.jpeg
    9766316A-B9D8-4344-9367-F54341C18CCA.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 9BF753AF-0C61-49FC-B9BC-3CD0C3B0223E.jpeg
    9BF753AF-0C61-49FC-B9BC-3CD0C3B0223E.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 87
  • FD98C9AA-C24C-48E4-A6AB-433EE7F3DB6C.jpeg
    FD98C9AA-C24C-48E4-A6AB-433EE7F3DB6C.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 70
Discus-Tang
Salt works for both NTD and columnaris IME. Look at cotton mouth as well, could be that

DoubleDutch
Salt works for both NTD and columnaris IME. Look at cotton mouth as well, could be that
Nothing works for NTD.

I'd say False NTD (neonspecific strain of Columnaris). @redshark

Redshark1
I already gave my advice. Nothing more to add.

Goldiemom
Yes, you did. Dang it! Lol

DoubleDutch
In another thread or am I missing something?

Goldiemom
I thought cotton mouth was Columnaris. Am I wrong?

In another thread or am I missing something?
He warned me about them in the beginning.

DoubleDutch
I thought cotton mouth was Columnaris. Am I wrong?
It has different appearances (saddle back disease fi)

Goldiemom
OK, gang. What is your recommendation for treating if it is Columnaris?

Whitewolf
Look like a fungal infection I found that says cotton mouth doesn’t look like it though. Could be something else. I suggest quartineing him away from other fish change the water 100% treat him with stuff you have

Fish don't get fungal infections Columnaris "cotton mouth, saddle back, ect ect is a BACTERIA" no anti-fungal agent in the water will ever work. Trust me.

Treating columnaris, maracyn-2 and keep the too far gone or sick fish immediately killed. It lives on flesh and the more momentum it gets the harder it gets to stop.

Goldiemom
They are in a QT tank until clove oil arrives. Thanks for all of your help! Really appreciate it. This is my first go round with columnaris and never used salt before either. Little nervous.

Whitewolf
Its not always a win-able battle Once a few get it bad they will never make it, so cull them so they don't die in the tank and maybe move them to a separate tank with salt and antibiotic probably the best bet.

Goldiemom
I’m giving them until Friday in the QT tank with salt and meds. If not improving then, I should have the clove oil in and will put them down. That will be a hard lesson to learn but will give me more experience under my belt. Again, thanks for all of your help.

Whitewolf
Did we ever figure out if it is NTD or Columnaris? They do make a med for neon tetra disease, its called naladin.

Goldiemom
I don't know and I am so confused. It only seems to be affecting my neon tetras. The green neon's are fine as are some of the neon tetras. Guppies and platy's look fine too. I had myself convinced it was NTD but others pointed me toward Columnaris so I ordered the meds for that. The pics you sent look exactly like what I am dealing with. The sick ones are NOT going back into the tank. I guess I could try the Kanaplex and Furan 2 (which is what I had to order) for columnaris on the good tank just in case and try the naladin on the QT tank. Personally, I feel just trying the Kanaplex and Furan 2. If it's NTD then I want them gone anyway.

When I look at the Columnaris pics some of them look like what mine have too. How do I determine which disease it is? Suggestions?

Whitewolf - I went ahead and ordered some of the Naladin. I think I'll try it first on the QT tank since it's only one dose one time. I'll see how they do after that. Again, thanks so much. You have been a really big help to me.

Whitewolf
Columnaris is known as "false neon tetra disease" so it will be somewhat hard.
I think the bent spine is a big one, columnaris dosent cause that
The skin lesion on columnaris is more white usually, on NTD it is more brownish
NTD causes erratic behavior and hiding from the others, Columnaris would cause haning.

Goldiemom
It’s strange though that the only ones affected so far are neon tetras. I have platy’s guppies, green Neons and a BN pleco in there too but all others seem just fine. The Sulfaplex is doing nothing. Even added a little salt which I have never used. The growth on the one neon’s mouth is still the same. Another one is just fading. The third one just has a cloudy spot on his tail which he has had for a couple of months. However, they are still eating an shoaling in the QT tank. Don’t even know they are sick. I had kicked the temp until for a week after treating for ich just to be sure. I wonder if that kicked columnaris on.

Goldiemom
Just treated with kanaplex and Furan-2. The 3 neon tetras are still in QT TANK. No better and no worse. The rest of fish in main tank are fine but treated them too just in case. Will continue this through weekend but beginning to think it is not columnaris. Naladin will be here Monday. If no change by then I will treat the tetras with that for NTD. If still no improvement, I will have to euthanize the 3 tetras.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Whitewolf
Replies
Views
Member79054
Top Bottom