I Think It May Be Neon Tetra Disease?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Goldiemom, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Can someone tell me what this is on my Tetra? He acts fine but he has something that looks like it’s hanging on his mouth. Doesn’t look cottony but more like a growth or pimple. Started treating with Seachem Sulfaplex. Test were 0 ammonia, o nitrites, and 40 nitrates but also tank cleaning day so I have done a 50% w/c before medicating.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Look like a fungal infection I found that says cotton mouth doesn’t look like it though. Could be something else. I suggest quartineing him away from other fish change the water 100% treat him with stuff you have

3. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I’m treating the entire tank since he’s been in there with them for months.

4. Iverg1

That good

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Might it be a fungus or NTD? Possibly a bacterial problem.
    I would treat the tank, and see how it goes.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. Iverg1

It’s probley a growth signaling to a bacterial infection

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I did specify that it was probably a fungus.

8. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

Ok. Now that I am totally confused, I guess I’ll treat as I was. Thanks for answering though. I do appreciate it.

9. Iverg1

Sorry for confusing just quartine him and treat him and the tank

10. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Try looking at columnaris, kanaplex is a good medication for that. Also, cotton mouth is a name for columnaris, but it is actually a bacterial infection. I believe there is also a neon tetra disease that can present in a couple of different ways, but I don't think there's a cure for that.

11. Iverg1

I don’t thinks it cotton mouth because Goldiemom said

12. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry, I had just heard it could present in a few different ways, and I wasn't sure what all of them were

13. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

OK, Gang...I am really worried about this neon tetra and the rest of the tank. The growth is not going down and I know I have only been treating for 3 days but he looks like he is trying to eat but then spits it out. I don't know if his mouth hurts or why he is spitting it back out. I'm going to keep trying with the Sulfaplex a few more days but if he gets to where he is wasting away I am going to have to euthanize him. I have never done that and don't want to now. Any other ideas? I have ordered the clove oil just in case but I sure would like to cure him. I hate to contaminate the whole tank but figure I better treat everyone. I just don't know what to do.

14. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

When I bought my first group of neon’s Several months ago they quickly got cloudy spots on their fins and tails. It has never gone away. Then they started getting faded areas in their red stripe. Now one of them has a growth on its lip. The rest of the tetras I purchased later from my local LFS are very vibrant in color and have no fin or tail issues. Today one of the older ones looks more faded. I QT the one with the fade and the one with growth. I have one more I can’t catch yet that has cloudy tale spots too. I was treating for Columnaris but now leaning towards NTD. Should I continue to use treatment or euthanize the ones that don’t look right?

Attached Files:

15. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Salt works for both NTD and columnaris IME. Look at cotton mouth as well, could be that

16. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Nothing works for NTD.

I'd say False NTD (neonspecific strain of Columnaris). @redshark

17. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I already gave my advice. Nothing more to add.

18. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

Yes, you did. Dang it! Lol

19. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

In another thread or am I missing something?

20. OP
    OP
    Goldiemom

I thought cotton mouth was Columnaris. Am I wrong?

He warned me about them in the beginning.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice