I Think It May Be Neon Tetra Disease?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can someone tell me what this is on my Tetra? He acts fine but he has something that looks like it’s hanging on his mouth. Doesn’t look cottony but more like a growth or pimple. Started treating with Seachem Sulfaplex. Test were 0 ammonia, o nitrites, and 40 nitrates but also tank cleaning day so I have done a 50% w/c before medicating.

Attachments

Last edited:

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Look like a fungal infection I found that says cotton mouth doesn’t look like it though. Could be something else. I suggest quartineing him away from other fish change the water 100% treat him with stuff you have

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m treating the entire tank since he’s been in there with them for months.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok. Now that I am totally confused, I guess I’ll treat as I was. Thanks for answering though. I do appreciate it.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Try looking at columnaris, kanaplex is a good medication for that. Also, cotton mouth is a name for columnaris, but it is actually a bacterial infection. I believe there is also a neon tetra disease that can present in a couple of different ways, but I don't think there's a cure for that.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry, I had just heard it could present in a few different ways, and I wasn't sure what all of them were

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK, Gang...I am really worried about this neon tetra and the rest of the tank. The growth is not going down and I know I have only been treating for 3 days but he looks like he is trying to eat but then spits it out. I don't know if his mouth hurts or why he is spitting it back out. I'm going to keep trying with the Sulfaplex a few more days but if he gets to where he is wasting away I am going to have to euthanize him. I have never done that and don't want to now. Any other ideas? I have ordered the clove oil just in case but I sure would like to cure him. I hate to contaminate the whole tank but figure I better treat everyone. I just don't know what to do.

When I bought my first group of neon’s Several months ago they quickly got cloudy spots on their fins and tails. It has never gone away. Then they started getting faded areas in their red stripe. Now one of them has a growth on its lip. The rest of the tetras I purchased later from my local LFS are very vibrant in color and have no fin or tail issues. Today one of the older ones looks more faded. I QT the one with the fade and the one with growth. I have one more I can’t catch yet that has cloudy tale spots too. I was treating for Columnaris but now leaning towards NTD. Should I continue to use treatment or euthanize the ones that don’t look right?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom