I think im gonna buy a bike

Nags1965
A motorcycle that is. With gas at 3.19 a gallon maybe NOW is a good time to learn to ride

I wonder how hard it would be to learn to ride? Any of you gals out there ride? I guess a dealer would be the best one to ask about size and stuff.. I don't want one to heavy.. but I don't want a vispa <sp?> either..

Opinions on the best brand? If I'm going for style I would go Harley.. but I'm more into what's a good bike for me at a reasonable price.

Ntruder1400
You should first sign up for a motorcycle riders course. They supply bikes (usually 125cc) and teach you the basics. This training will get you an insurance discount, as well as help keep you alive.

Based on what you said about Harley style, I guess you are in the market for a cruiser (as opposed to a sportbike or "crotch rocket"). If you have never ridden before, I would not go with a Harley. They are too expensive to learn on - starter bikes invariably get dinged, dented dropped, etc.

Here are some of the biggest factors that need to be considered: How much do you weigh? (you don't need to post it here, but it is a factor) I would not go any higher than 800cc for a first bike. If you are a "plus size" you should think about going with something closer to the 800cc. If you are very light, the smaller end of the scale is fine. I would not go lower than 500cc - below that and you risk having the bike feel like a Vespa very soon.

That being said, you need to go and sit on a bunch of bikes. Pick one that you can comfortably reach the ground with both feet - preferably flat-footed. Lean the bike from side to side to get a feel of the weight, distribution of the weight, center of gravity, and overall fell of the bike. Do the handlebars allow your arms to be in a comfortable position? Can you comfortably turn the bars "lock to lock"? Most places won't let you test ride it without a valid MC license - thus the reason for taking the MC safety course (you get your license as a part of most courses). Consider the bike that fits you and feels comfortable when you lean it.

Remember that a starter bike is usually just that - only a starter. You will develop your skills on this bike and "grow out of it". If you pick a bike at the higher end of the scale, you are less likely to grow out of it, but the bigger the bike, the harder it will be to leran on.

Some good candidates are the SuzukI Savage (650), Volusia, or Intruder 800. I am partial to Suzuki, but Honda makes a great product also.

I hope this helps, but I can't stress enough the importance of taking the MSF course first - even if you need to get on a waiting list to take one.

Nags1965
You should first sign up for a motorcycle riders course. They supply bikes (usually 125cc) and teach you the basics. This training will get you an insurance discount, as well as help keep you alive.

Based on what you said about Harley style, I guess you are in the market for a cruiser (as opposed to a sportbike or "crotch rocket"). If you have never ridden before, I would not go with a Harley. They are too expensive to learn on - starter bikes invariably get dinged, dented dropped, etc.

Here are some of the biggest factors that need to be considered: How much do you weigh? (you don't need to post it here, but it is a factor) I would not go any higher than 800cc for a first bike. If you are a "plus size" you should think about going with something closer to the 800cc. If you are very light, the smaller end of the scale is fine. I would not go lower than 500cc - below that and you risk having the bike feel like a Vespa very soon.

That being said, you need to go and sit on a bunch of bikes. Pick one that you can comfortably reach the ground with both feet - preferably flat-footed. Lean the bike from side to side to get a feel of the weight, distribution of the weight, center of gravity, and overall fell of the bike. Do the handlebars allow your arms to be in a comfortable position? Can you comfortably turn the bars "lock to lock"? Most places won't let you test ride it without a valid MC license - thus the reason for taking the MC safety course (you get your license as a part of most courses). Consider the bike that fits you and feels comfortable when you lean it.

Remember that a starter bike is usually just that - only a starter. You will develop your skills on this bike and "grow out of it". If you pick a bike at the higher end of the scale, you are less likely to grow out of it, but the bigger the bike, the harder it will be to leran on.

Some good candidates are the SuzukI Savage (650), Volusia, or Intruder 800. I am partial to Suzuki, but Honda makes a great product also.

I hope this helps, but I can't stress enough the importance of taking the MSF course first - even if you need to get on a waiting list to take one.

Thanks for the reply and the info. I did check into the course you are talking about. Its like a 2 or 3 day course with a cost of about 300 bucks.. but like you said it helps on insurance and the MC license you get at that time provided the class is passed. I am totally not into the crotch rocket... and I suppose I'm of average frame.. bout 5'7 135lbs. but I do have longer legs so I'm afraid if I get something to match my legs (where feet sit flat on the ground) it will be to big for me to handle. How does one really know what is a good comfortable fit? to me they all seem quite uncomfortable when I sit on them.. perhaps taking the course will allow me to feel more comfortable with a bike and therefore be able to pick one out. I really like some of the yamaha and honda bikes.. and they are actually more afforable then I thought..

I shall ponder this some more.

thank you for the info..

COBettaCouple
3.19 a gallon.. those were the days. 3.30 a gallon here and moving up. If people here didn't enjoy running into each other on purpose so much, I'd think about a Honda or SuzukI probably.

Ntruder1400
We are averaging $3.11/gal here in NH. I have been riding my SuzukI Intruder 1400 back and forth to work all week. The bike gets near 40 MPG. My truck has a 6.0 litre engine and only gets 12 MPG. I have a 42 mile round-trip commute, so I am saving about $8-$10 per day by riding the bike. I have to suck it up in the morning (averaging 28 degrees when I leave home), but I have been enjoying a great ride home (45-70 degrees this week). This is the first week of the riding season for me, and I couldn't be happier!!!

Ride Safe, Ride Free!!

susitna-flower
HA....you light weights.....our gas locally is now $3.63! It is 80 miles to the grocery store...WE are eating lots of pinto beans.

ShaynaB
I just paid $3.79 today. And that was the cheapest of the three gas stations at the closest corner to me. The other two were $3.83.

I love LA.

It's a good thing I have a small car... College student budget and all.

My dad has a motorcycle that he rides to work 1. because of LA traffic and 2. because it's cheaper. He loves it. Good luck with the bike!

Ntruder1400
Whoa!! I thought I was having a tough time financially because of fuel prices. I guess I am on the lower end of the scale of fuel gouging here in NH!

ShaynaB
Yeah, I wish it was $3.11 out here. I'd have a field day and buy excess gas or something. Ha! I don't think it's been that low for two years here.

pamd
A friend bought a SuzukI DR 200 SE about two months ago and absolutely loves it! It gets at least 80 m.p.g. and he was delighted at filling up his gas tank for $2.45 the first week when he was used to spending about $40 for the same time period/distance with a mini-van. Now he "feels funny" on the rare occasions he uses the mini-van. "It feels like driving around in a room."

It's only 199 CCs. It's plenty fast and he can't figure out why most people would need more than that for casual riding and getting back and forth to work. We live in a hilly area in mountain foothills, and it deals with the uphills just fine. He doesn't want to ride 120 MPH on the expressway nor to use it for "sport biking" in the desert.

It only weighs 250 lbs. It's a dual-purpose off-road/street bike. He says it's great as a street bike, and it handles speed bumps, potholes and overflowing river sand better than most strictly road bikes would.

The friend is about 5'11" and of slI'm build. He said the bike would be great for a female smaller than him who probably also has smaller hands.

Even though it's his first motorcycle, he self-taught himself to ride and spent less than $10 to get his Arizona motorcycle license. He skipped the MSF course but agreed that Ntruder's advice to check it out is good advice, since it does teach some important basics and allows you to get an insurance discount.

I think it's so cool a lady is interested in getting a bike. If you go for it, I wish you the best of happy and safe riding!

offminded
A motorcycle that is. With gas at 3.19 a gallon maybe NOW is a good time to learn to ride

I wonder how hard it would be to learn to ride? Any of you gals out there ride? I guess a dealer would be the best one to ask about size and stuff.. I don't want one to heavy.. but I don't want a vispa <sp?> either..

Opinions on the best brand? If I'm going for style I would go Harley.. but I'm more into what's a good bike for me at a reasonable price.

$3.19...what a joke!! I pay at least $3.60!

Tavel
$3.19...what a joke!! I pay at least $3.60!

I love my Corolla. 30mpg city, 33 if I milk it. Easily 40mph highway.

It would take a long time to pay off a motorcycle in fuel savings alone, especially because motor bikes aren't particularly practical and I'd need to keep a car for many tasks anyway.

I have a bicycle, but I use it almost exclusively for recreation because it's just too hard to carry things around (like groceries, lol).

Peterpiper
$3.19 a gallon = 84c a litre I would love to be paying that! we are paying around $1.30 a litre or $4.90 a gallon

Take a look at the pain

Nags1965
$3.19 a gallon = 84c a litre I would love to be paying that! we are paying around $1.30 a litre or $4.90 a gallon

Take a look at the pain

wow.. I think I should be happy I'm only paying 3.19.

Ntruder1400
I am definitely grateful that we are not as high-priced as some other places.

offminded
wow.. I think I should be happy I'm only paying 3.19.

yes...I think you should be

Nags1965
Gas prices change here like the wind. Drive by the BP at 10am and gas is 3.19.. drive back by at noon and the price is 3.17.. I really don't get that..

offminded
that's better than almost $4!!!

Nags1965
offminded
sure...let me get on my bike and ride your way

Nags1965
sure...let me get on my bike and ride your way

If you start right NOW.. you might make it before the prices jump.

what kinda bike ya got?

offminded
If you start right NOW.. you might make it before the prices jump.

what kinda bike ya got?

trek...lol...no motorcycle

Nags1965
trek...lol...no motorcycle

oh good grief.. then if you start NOW.. you might make it by this time next month LOL.. maybe..

offminded
oh good grief.. then if you start NOW.. you might make it by this time next month LOL.. maybe..

so long as I have a place to crash...lol

Nags1965
so long as I have a place to crash...lol

I hope you have an umbrella on that thing.. it gets really hot in the desert

offminded
of course...

offminded
I am well prepared...for anything

Nags1965
offminded
hows your earthquake readyness?

definitely ready for that...have the emergency kit and safety plan in place!

Nags1965
definitely ready for that...have the emergency kit and safety plan in place!

I dunno.. I have this odd vision of you on a bike.. with all you can carry piled on your back peddling down the road as the earth shakes LOL.

Tavel
I dunno.. I have this odd vision of you on a bike.. with all you can carry piled on your back peddling down the road as the earth shakes LOL.

I'm chuckling at the thought of an umbrella sticking up from the seat post. haha. Take slow turns, don't wanna tip over now!

BTW: I have a Trek too, LOVE it. excellent bike, light, durable, everything works so smoothly it's almost not even excersize!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lorabell
Replies
Views
Megabeth
Replies
Views
Orion5
Replies
Views