I think I'm finished with store bought fertilizers

Lonnie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have used every type of fertilizer available on the market. I am not impressed by the results. There is even a Finnex 24/7 aquarium light on the aquarium. The plants I buy are cheap low light plants that should thrive. It is just not happening. A few years ago I had a cheap fluorescent Walmart light bulb. It was just one single light bulb on a 10 gallon aquarium. I also had 5 or 6 platy fish. The plants thrived under those conditions and they even grew over the top of the tank. Could it be that Swordtails and Platys emit more natural fertilizer? Considering going back to swordtails and/or platys. I just want my plants to grow.

Thank you,

Lonnie

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What size tank do you have now, are you injecting co2 what plants and what ferts are you using and how long are your lights on for daily? My go to reccomendation is Nilog Thrive. It's an all in one fert that has all the nutrients for your plants to do well.

Lonnie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have the 20 gallon aquarium that is shown in the gallery. Have never used co2. Have used API root tabs, Seachem liquid fertilzer, and Aqueon liquid fertilizer. Maybe I could check out the Nilog thrive. The white light stays on the highest intensity for 10 hours each day.

Thank you,

Lonnie

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What ferts do you use? How much and how often do you use them? I also agree with using Nilog Thrive.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lonnie said:
I have the 20 gallon aquarium that is shown in the gallery. Have never used co2. Have used API root tabs, Seachem liquid fertilzer, and Aqueon liquid fertilizer. Maybe I could check out the Nilog thrive. The white light stays on the highest intensity for 10 hours each day.

Thank you,

Lonnie
The ferts your currently using are not feeding your plants all the nutrients they need. They are OK products but only have traces of some of the 14 or so nutrients plants need to grow. Thats why i always suggest Thrive, You could also do ThriveC as your not dosing co2 so it is meant for a lowtech (non-co2 tanks ). By saying the pic is in the gallery do you mean under your name? It looks like a bit taller of a tank so a better fert would definitely help. The light should do well for you.

KinderScout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Check the CO2 level in your tank by measuring KH and PH and the following chart -
CO2-Chart-1-1.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I started my live plant journey with Flourish and flourish excel. Wasn't having much if any success. I switched to Thrive liquid and thrive root caps. Started having some limited success but nothing to write home about. I then discovered that my very soft water was not the best thing for plant growth. I started adding equilibrium to my tanks and the plant growth exploded.

Have you checked the TDS, KH and GH of your source water?

KinderScout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you have lots of plants consider CO2 injection. It can be a bit pricy and fiddly to set up but, once done, cheap to run and easy. I'm not a fan of gluteraldehyde (e.g. Excel or other chemical based carbon additives). Some get on with it perfectly well but some find it irritates their fish. If you are going to use it introduce it gradually.

Lonnie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mattgirl said:
I started my live plant journey with Flourish and flourish excel. Wasn't having much if any success. I switched to Thrive liquid and thrive root caps. Started having some limited success but nothing to write home about. I then discovered that my very soft water was not the best thing for plant growth. I started adding equilibrium to my tanks and the plant growth exploded.

Have you checked the TDS, KH and GH of your source water?
I haven't paid much attention to those levels. Maybe I should do that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom