I Think Im Done With Cycle? 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Juicetin1314, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Juicetin1314

Juicetin1314New MemberMember

Im setting up my first cichlid tank, shooting for mbuna ( either a saulosi species tank or a lab/ demasoni)

I have been fishless cycling for about 2 weeks, and the tank will sucessfully reduce 2.0ppm ammonia to 0 in 12 hours. My measurements as of tonight are 0/ 1 NO2/ 80 NO3. nitrates are high as i havent changed any water since i began cycling.
    Kh-5 GH-6 Ph-7.6 High range PH-8.3

Do any of these parameters other than the no2 and no3 look too far off for mbuna? I had just dosed ammonia back up to 2.5 before i took the NO2 reading, so that could be a false high. I am also leaving a bowl of tap water out for 24 hrs because i dont know the true ph of my tap water, doing so because i dont want to have to do tons of buffering for each water change.

Provided the NO2 is a false high and is back to 0 in the morning, is my tank ready for fish after getting the NO3 back under 30ppm?

This is cross posted from the cichlid forum, but i will add this bit

IF the hardness is too low, i do not want to buffer when doing water changes, and will remove some rocks and make this a planted community tank.

2. TeslaValued MemberMember

If the nitrites & ammonia both go down to zero in 24 hours of adding ammonia then you are cycled :) Once you see both start going down to 0 in 24 hours, I would recommend stop adding ammonia and doing a 30-40% water change over a 2-3 of days to bring nitrates down to below 20ppm before adding fishes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice