I Think Im Done With Cycle?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Juicetin1314, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Juicetin1314New MemberMember

Im setting up my first cichlid tank, shooting for mbuna ( either a saulosi species tank or a lab/ demasoni)

I have been fishless cycling for about 2 weeks, and the tank will sucessfully reduce 2.0ppm ammonia to 0 in 12 hours. My measurements as of tonight are 0/ 1 NO2/ 80 NO3. nitrates are high as i havent changed any water since i began cycling.
    Kh-5 GH-6 Ph-7.6 High range PH-8.3

Do any of these parameters other than the no2 and no3 look too far off for mbuna? I had just dosed ammonia back up to 2.5 before i took the NO2 reading, so that could be a false high. I am also leaving a bowl of tap water out for 24 hrs because i dont know the true ph of my tap water, doing so because i dont want to have to do tons of buffering for each water change.

Provided the NO2 is a false high and is back to 0 in the morning, is my tank ready for fish after getting the NO3 back under 30ppm?

This is cross posted from the cichlid forum, but i will add this bit

IF the hardness is too low, i do not want to buffer when doing water changes, and will remove some rocks and make this a planted community tank.

2. TeslaValued MemberMember

If the nitrites & ammonia both go down to zero in 24 hours of adding ammonia then you are cycled :) Once you see both start going down to 0 in 24 hours, I would recommend stop adding ammonia and doing a 30-40% water change over a 2-3 of days to bring nitrates down to below 20ppm before adding fishes.