I Think I Messed Up...

1. Over It Well Known Member Member

So I have been having a heck of a time trying to find a centerpiece fish for my 29 gal. I finally decided on a Dwarf Gourami cause I wouldn't find any of the other fish I wanted. I had a hard time deciding between, Honey, Sunset/Thick Lip and Neon Blue.

Well I decided the Neon Blue would really stand out so I decided to get one, however, the guy working at the store convinced me that I should get 2. He said they are really lonely if there is just one and that 2 would be fine and 3 would be a crowd.

Now I'm quite worried that I made a big mistake. I thought I had read about not keeping dwarf Gourami's together, but I wasn't sure.

Is there any chance they might actually get along or should I just cut my losses and return one?
  2. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on the fish honestly. Some DG's are aggressive, and some aren't. They don't School, so they don't really get lonely. They are used to being alone.

Do you know if they are male or female?

3. RyanLewis Member Member

Based on my research, you may want to keep an eye on them. They are territorial to their own species especially towards same gender gouramis. Unless you have a decently planted tank, where there are plenty of hiding spots so they don't constantly see each other.To be safe, check on them to see if they fight. If they do, you may have to separate them.
  4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Depends on the tank. If you pack the thing with weeds like hornwort I am sure the gouramis could coexist. Since no one wants to pack their tank with plants to the point you see no fish, I would return the dwarf gourami.
    Honey gouramis are the ones that can be kept together.

5. Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, it is my understanding that dwarf gouramis are often quite aggressive with each other. If they are both males, there is a strong chance they will fight. Even if one is a female, I have read that the male may cause her a lot of stress. A 29-gallon really isn't all that much space for them to spread out. If it were me, I would only keep one dwarf gourami in a 29-gallon.

Honey gouramis are not dwarf gouramis and they are peaceful. If you'd like more than one, they would be a great choice.
  6. Over It Well Known Member Member

I have no idea if they are male or female. I took some pics I will post in a min.
    Also I was very tempted to believe him that they could get along cause the store was very busy and I watched them for 45 min. while waiting and there was no fighting.
    So far they haven't gone after each other, but that could just be because they are brand new to the tank.

Yep, I'm pretty sure I was thinking Honey Gourami's, but I honestly couldn't remember at the moment.
  7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Female Dwarf gouramis are rare. I guess you could try it out by planting the heck out of the tank with stuff like hornwort to break sight lines but even then I am not sure It would work... Most of the time fishstore tanks are so overstocked and the fish are stressed so they dont care about fights.

8. Over It Well Known Member Member

Here's some pics of them and my tank. af3384aac1596937e9d4f4b8b8d6a33d.jpg afcbf715cde928d65c7c440bd69bed2c.jpg 3721bc25b22ee6767ab2a8ab35d767f4.jpg 0d7e1aa18aed68bbdcd34125beda837d.jpg 9f27309d3204bf95c35362f92b5bf296.jpg
  9. Over It Well Known Member Member

So I've been watching them off and on and the worst I've seen so far is one come up behind the other, give him a little nip on the tail and the other one just moved away a bit.

Here's some more pics if that helps. 9ccbebd2b3c4cec414f8df81bc375457.jpg d0bb2a5db581471c883ac6a67942f4e0.jpg ffb55c92909f73070527728f79366769.jpg

So should I give it a try and let them both stay for a bit or should I just return one?
  10. Over It Well Known Member Member

I was super tempted to get a Sunset Thick Lipped cause they supposedly get to 4 inches and are peaceful and that would be my one centerpiece fish, but if it stays yellow I wouldn't be super happy with it.

I do love the idea of 3 Honey Gourami's. If this doesn't work I'll think I'll get those as one store should have them on Wednesday.

11. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful fish! I would definitely rehome one though, as they grow they may start fighting.
  12. Over It Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I'm already seeing a bit of that and I really want this to be a peaceful tank and I'd hate for one to be scared and hiding all the time.

Now to decide whether I keep just one or return them and get Honey Gourami's....
  13. DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Two males and I'd defintelly bring one back.
  14. Jorden Cookland Initiate Member

I would take one back. When I had gouramis in my tank I tried one of these and another one which was half blue half red and they were terrible together and with other fish (in may have just had bullying fish but that was by experiance) I found the honey and pearl gouramis were the most docile and they are beautiful to watch.
  15. Over It Well Known Member Member

Ok, I'll take one back to the store today.
    I think stick with one of these guys and see how it goes. If for some reason he doesn't work out well I'll take him back and try some Honey Gourami's, unless the Honey Gourami's are less timid? I really don't want a fish that will be hiding all the time and I've read these guys can be very timid. Is that correct?
  16. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Honey gouramis shouldn't be timid with your other fish.