I Think I May Want To Start A Saltwater Aquarium for Orchid Dottybacks

Zach72202

So I have been thinking about it more and more lately. I am really thinking about doing it. I have experience with some salt, as I have brackish tanks for my Green Spotted Puffer and my Figure 8 Puffers, but I may way to do a simple reef aquarium- nothing too fancy.

If anybody knows me, I like to breed fish. I have freshwater species that I enjoy to work with and am slowly working on breeding, but a few fish catch my eye in the saltwater world. Outside of the porcupine puffer, the only fish I am really interested in keeping is Orchid Dottybacks. Sure clowns are cool, but they would be a filler fish for me, at this point at least. I was dropping some guppies off at the LFS today and the manager mentioned to me that dottybacks are being bred and captivity, which really got me interested. I have read the general post about them on fishlore here, and I have somewhat made a plan. Kinda just looking for general information here. I have summized that keeping more than 2 in the minimum "30 gallons" isn't exactly realistic, let alone if I want to get other fish.

The current idea of mine is: Which isn't much

40B or 55G Tank
Enough orchid dottybacks to attempt breeding? 2? Get them as juvis
Probably a few fire gobys- those are cool right?

Live rock
Green Star Polyps Coral
Whatever other cheap easy corals?

No Sump! I do not like them. Going for 'low tech'
I have no idea what light to even think about- Preferably affordable.
Filter- Appropriately Sized Fluval HOB
Aquatop Xyclone HOB Protein Skimmer.
Some kind of internal powerhead?

All in all, I think going in with this general plan wouldn't end in total disaster, but wouldn't be optimal. Hoping to get some feedback!

Thank you for reading!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
  • Question
Replies
Views
ystrout
Replies
Views
Jesterrace