I think I may have to many fish?

red12

Reaction score
Right now I have a 10 gallon tank I have 1 adult Platy, 1 adult Cory green cat, 2 Otos, 1 Chiennse agle eater, 3 platy fry, and 1 molly fry. My gess it right now im fine but in the future ill need to get rid of some. Or just do more water changes?

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
right off the top i would get rid of the chinese algae eater, it will definately get too big for your tank, not to mention it is extremely aggressive

red12

Reaction score
Yep thats what I was think I plan on getting rid of it soon.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Give it back to the store, do not kill it! Or give it to someone who has the space for it. These fish have the reputation of being aggressive, but I wouldn't exactly call them "extremely" aggressive. Their behavior depends A LOT on the conditions in which they are kept. For example, too small a tank and inappropriate or insufficient diet will make them more aggressive for sure. But if they're given plenty of food and space, they should not be aggressive. Your tank is indeed too small for a Chinese Algae Eater.

red12

Reaction score
Ok ill see what I can do I like him so much though he cleans my tank good. O well

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I actually have this algae eater and I love him. He is not aggressive towards my fish because I feed him well and he has 30 gallons of water to swim in. Besides, he keeps my tank extremely clean. I never have to clean anything there and never have any algae problems in this tank. BUT ... I've heard people complaining about these algae eaters nevertheless. Especially that this fish can suck on a fish's slime coating, causing an injury to a fish's skin. Though, thankfully, mine is doing well, even a 30 gallon tank is generally too small for this fish.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
that is what i have heard as well. I wanted one 'cause i thought they would be cool looking with Inari my betta, but i thought one aggressive fish and one semi-aggressive fish would be a bad combo. If you want to keep ur algea eater, I'd get him a large tank with some suitable tank mates if u really want to keep him.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otos need to live in groups of their own species of at least 4. Corys need to be in groups of 3.

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
i had a small chinese algae eater for 3 days before i had to take it back, the algae eater and my shark were literally swimming around each other trying to get at one another, i traded it in for an oto cat and have have xero problems since then

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's what happened to me when I had a rts and a chinese algae eater, they wouldn't stop going after each other. Red12 what do you have currently in your tank now, like stardius said corys can do OK in groups of 3 but definatly perfer 5, same with otos and the platies ratio should be 2 females to 1 male or better 3 females to 1 male.

red12

Reaction score
Ok I just went to the fish store and took it back I didnt get any other fish. The fish I have right now are 1 adult platy, and 3 fry platy, 1 Green cory cat, 2 oto, and 1 fry mollie. The chinese algae eater I had did chase a few of my fish around and I heard they can kill ur fish. I had my Cory cat for about 2 months now and is fine by him self Oto I got yesterday are doing find right now they are sucking away.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
that is good to hear. Hope your fishies are doing well be sure to post pictures.

~inari

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom