I Think I May Have Burnt My Filter Out Help

1. Cruise

Cruise Valued Member Member

Hi guys, I got home tonight and did water change and general clean of my 4 ft tank. I noticed that the canister filter I am using "Aqua One - Aquis 1250" wasn't pumping water back into the tank through the spray bar, so I turned it off and cleaned out the filter medium with old water from my tank. I primed for about 10 minutes but it now doesn't pump.

I think I have accidentally burnt out my canister filter, AAAAHHH!!

Any suggestion on actions I could try?

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I'm no expert on canisters, but they need to be fully primed? Try taking it apart again to see if you made an error. Fully prime it,and make sure there is no area where it is unsealed. How old is the filter?

3. OP
    OP
    Cruise

I would say just over a year old. I did pre-fill the canister with water reasonably full, but I may not have done it all the way to the top. Its late here in Sydney, I will try again tomorrow night when i get home from work.

Thank you for the tip :)

4. OP
    OP
    Cruise

Woohoo!. I just got up and decided to give it one more shot before I went to work, gave the pump a couple of goes and switched it on, it came on like a trooper. I suspect all the air bubbles had risen to the top of the tubing after I left it alone for a number of hours.
    There is algae floating everywhere now, I will need to keep cleaning it tonight.

5. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Great news. That happens when the filter is left off for a while.