I think I just screwed myself. HELP?! (Sponge filters, ick treatment)

KtFish
Ok, after waiting 6 weeks to stock my tank after a massive die-off (bad moving experience, only 2 mollies survived), my children picked a population of mollies to restock the tank. The very next day I went to the aquarium store I had purchased the fish from and the tank that held many of our new fish was now under quarantine for ich. I was advised to treat my tank as well to "try and catch it early". I did the 1st ich treatment in a near panic and didn't think it through. Now my water is cloudy and the dawning realization just hit me that I can assume that my beautifully balanced/live sponge filters and substrait are now dead. I also assume I am also now facing a massive nitrogen cycle crash.... HELP!! I would classify myself in the level of experience to now realize what I did wrong and what is about to kill all my new fish but still a relative beginner enough to have no idea how to try and salvage the situation. Had I been thinking clearly I probably should have A) waited to actually see signs of the illness before treating; B) pulled one of my filter sponges to keep in a bucket, safe, to be reintroduced after the treatment cycle; or C) just said "F*&$ it all" and given up on this whole FISH thing >.<
How screwed am I?
Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Should I stop the ich treatment now (only 1 day in) or should I continue for the full 4 days?
Should I just resign myself now and send my children to grandmas for the week as the horsemen of ammonia and nitrites destroy their new obsession?

Aquaphobia
Possibly not at all! First, don't panic. Second, did you read the directions? Is the product known to kill bacteria? If yes, you might be able to pull some of the media, rinse it well and keep it in a bucket away from the ich meds.

Third, keep testing! Do water changes. Get a bottle of TSS or Stability if it looks like you are going to lose your cycle. Treat it like any other cycle bump and just treat the water with Prime and do water changes to keep your fish safe.

Fourth: BREATHE! This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby

KtFish
I used the Tetra Ich Guard Fizz Tablet, it doesn't even come with instructions. While it appears to be a great product (as told to me by a large amount of research back during my original die-off) you need to get the instructions off forums/google and to be honest, I don't remember if it said one way or the other... By any chance do you know? But the expanded internet instructions are where my understanding of the usual treatment cycle needing 4 consecutive dose days. Should I continue? Or leave ell enough alone?

Also, to be fully honest, my tank has always been abnormally and naturally stable. The big die off was my first real experience/learning curve with the nitrogen cycle. I don't really know how to manage "bumps" besides trusting in nature and solid routine and set up to manage it back to normal -_-'

Aquaphobia
I've not had to deal with ich myself and haven't used that product so I don't actually know. If you don't see any signs I would stop treatment and start turning the heat up. That should speed up the lifecycle of the ich parasite and then you can vacuum them up when they start to fall off the fish. The extra heat will also help the BB to grow if they've been decimated.

Just do regular water changes and testing and you should be fine

SteveMc
Indeed, you may be okay. Maybe try switching your treatment to Seachem Paraguard. I used it not long ago when a new arrival to my tank brought along ich. The Paraguard quickly got rid of it and seemingly had no ill effects on my bio filtration. Seachem's product info mentions that it won't kill beneficial bacteria.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CaramelDonuts
Replies
Views
default-fish
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettaLove2021
  • Question