I Think I Just Killed My Molly

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by CheshireKat, Jul 13, 2019.

1. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

So, last night (well, technically very early this morning, for me), this happened: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/fish-vision-problems.414071/

I didn't do anything right away because I didn't know what was going on. When I woke up several hours ago, she wasn't doing well. I again didn't do anything immediately because even though I thought she had swim bladder disorder, I was going to give her time and monitor her. She was still moving around. I was just going to give her time for her system to work it out and then remove her if she didn't improve and do fasting, peas, etc.
    Just a bit ago, I went to check on her and couldn't find her. Tried not to panic. Looked at the filter intake sponge and saw her tail sticking out. Thought she was dead. I couldn't get her out from under it, so I turned off the filter and pulled up the intake. She was still breathing! Her gills were heaving. I knew I had to do something immediately. I thought to try an epsom salt bath, so went to get that prepared. I came back and she was dead. I think the filter was giving her oxygen and keeping her alive.

I feel guilty because I might've killed her by turning off the filter. And for not doing anything earlier. But I've honestly never seen swim bladder disorder like this nor progress so fast, or affect breathing. I wonder if it was something else entirely. I really have no idea.
    Honestly, I think it has something to do with the frozen food that I've fed them for the first time ever. I've done it three times this week and I've noticed several fish have diarrhea, and then this. They had no problems before, all perfectly healthy. She's never had any problems. I think the frozen cubes are too large/too much food and too rich for my platies and mollies.

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

I doubt the frozen food killed your Mollie. Sometimes fish just die. Every keeper experiences the occasional unexplained
    tank death.
    If you think the food cubes are too big, cut them in half. I thaw frozen food in the tank, in a dip net before feeding. Not too many tropical fish in the wild nibbling on ice cubes. Hang in there.

3. OP
    OP
    CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

I have to disagree. If it was contaminated or gone bad, for example. (Although I'd just gotten it, you never know.)
    Plus she's not the only fish struggling with it. I've had other fish with diarrhea and constipation after eating it. They are not used to eating whole shrimp and whatnot and I'd imagine it's a lot richer than the processed foods. There's also a lot in one cube. They can easily over-eat.

But that wasn't my point to begin with, just a guess and suspicion. My main confusion is over how she seemed to be suffering from swim bladder disorder and then died in less than 24 hours. More importantly, she went from moving around to lying under the filter intake struggling to breathe within a few hours. This is not my experience with swim bladder disorder.

Yes, I'm well aware. I've had tons and tons of fish die over the years.