55 Gallon Tank I Think I Just Crashed My Cycle

thumper
Well My Stupid Dumb Self Did It Aging. I Think That I Just Crashed My Cycle Cause I Just Filled My Filters With Untreated Tap Water. So What Do You Guys/gals Think Is Going To Happen??????????????????????????????
A Water change!

Lucy
Shawnie
are you on city or well water? and adding it now could save everything if not too much time went thru..we all have done it before tho...or most of us

Dozey
And enough conditioner to treat the entire tank volume. Check parameters daily and do water changes as needed.

thumper
I treated the hole tank with ultimate actully I put a dose in for 60 gallons so I hope it dose not kill it all!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonah
Welcome to the crashed cycle club and follow Lucy's, Shawnie's and Dozey's advice and you may yet recover it all.

Shawnie
still wondering if you are on city water or not?

thumper
I put the water conditioner in when I was filling the tank and then I went to start my filters back up and just stuck the filler in there to get them full so they were flowing and the I went omg the clorine will kill every thing but I think I might be ok I hope!!!!!!

yes shawnie I am on city water

I wish I was not!!!!!!!!

Dozey
You just might be OK. After much reading I managed to learn that chlorine is not instantly effective. The effectiveness of chlorine has many variables including concentration, PH and the most importantly to you “time”.

Although this chart does not include bacteria you can see that it does take time to deal with other pathogens.

Disinfection time of fecal pollutants with chlorinated water
E. colI 0157 H7 bacterium < 1 minute
Hepatitis A virus about 16 minutes
Giardia parasite about 45 minutes
Cryptosporidium about 9600 minutes (6,7 days)

Everything you never wanted to know about chlorine and more. Also the source of the chart.

cerianthus
I would not do any unless testing tells you otherwise.

thumper
update

well I just did my nitely test and I am alittle worried now cause I have 0-0-5
which is weird cause this moring I ha 0.25-1-10
werid huh!

cerianthus
Just let it be and see if 0-0 changes tomorrow. If they stay 0-0 for next few days, you may have completed so called cycling.

Lucy
I wouldn't worry if you mean your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite with 5 nitrates, those readings are good.

thumper
maybe but I find it hard to belive that I could go from 0.25-1-10 to 0-0-5
in 12 hours I would think that I should still have some trites!!!!!

cerianthus
As long as test confirms otherwise, take it as it comes! I've seen level crashed from higher than that overnight.

thumper
really I did not thinkit could happen that fast but then who knows with nature right!

thumper
update moring test

0.25-0-5 this is my moring reading so we will give it a few days and see whaere it is at lol

jdhef
With your readings being very inconsistant, I am wondering if you test kit is giving accurate results.

thumper
I don't see why it would it is a apI fw master test kit

Lucy
Are you using the same light each time you test the water? I know mine will look different with my kitchen light vs sun light.

thumper
yep I use the same light I test in my room every moring and nite a my comp desk.

I just don't get it!

thumper
one thing I did forget to metiuon was that I cut the bio load in half I went fron 16 goldies to 8 and yesterdays what cange was mmore than I was going to do cause I forgot about the pyhon so in like 16 to 18 hours I did two 50% water changes could that be why my reading are so low now?

Latest threads

Top Bottom