I think I have my first case of Ich

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The female platy in my tank that was pregnant has been acting funny the past 3-4 days, she has been hanging out on the bottom inside of a log mostly, not eating much. She comes out to eat, but she struggles to swim. I didn't see her rub up against anything, but I had my suspicions because I had a platy death 2-3 days ago.
I made up a makeshift 1 gal tank out of a container I had purchased and never used, and set it up with some salted water and put a plant in there to help with oxygen. I put it ontop of the tank so that the hood could keep it heated, and so far it is working. I can't get it up high to the 86's, its at 78.
I put her in yesterday afternoon, and this morning I got up and she is still alive. I noticed she ate some of the leaves off the plant, I can see nibbling.
She isn't breathing hard, so I tried putting her back in the tank and she immediately started rubbing on things.
I snatched her back up right away and put her back into the little tank, so far she is resting and relaxed.

How long should I keep her in there before I can safely assume she doesn't have ich??

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IF it is ich, she already has infested the entire main tank...so just turn up the temps in that one with the extra air ...2 gravel vacs a week keeping the new water going back in the tank, 84-85

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, and also, she doesn't have any spots on her at all. I have been looking her over with a flashlight for the past 2 days, and so far nothing. The only reason I decided to seperate her was because she was so lethargic and I had that fish death a few days ago, I thought it was best to be safe and quarantine her just incase....
How long does it take before you see the little white spots??

EDIT: the fish that died did not have any spots on her at any time either, I just woke up and she was laying on the bottom dead with a little rip in her back tail (Suspected harassment from other fish)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Salt isn't necessary to treat ICH. Heat, frequent water changes, substrate vacuums and extra air will take care of it. You usually want to sustain these conditions for 14days. It takes that long for ICH to go through it's life stages and die.
Carol

OP
tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh dear....I already put salt in...um, I'm doing a change tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be okay until then.
I have been soaking their food with minced garlic as well (freshly minced no oil) so hopefully that helps too.

I spotted a small spot on my platys tail so I am pretty sure it is ich now .
Hopefully they all make it...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom