I Think I Have Dgd

1. Laina

Laina Member Member

He has been with me for about 2 months. No other sick fish in tank. He isn't eatting and appears bloated. Has become washed out and stays at the bottom mostly hidden, also looks a little pineconey. Has some darkening around gill area. water= ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 10. I have tried a variety of foods/ No one is picking on him/ lost other one within 2 weeks of purchase. No sores on him. But doesn't even look at offered food.

Any other symptoms I should watch for? If he has it I know there isn't anything I can do. I don't think it's dropsy. I change water 25% about every 4 days. Sometimes up to 40%

Dwarf rainbows breeding. neons seem happy. corys playing. otos doing their thing. tank seems good. Just the gourami.

20180307_103529.jpeg 20180307_103516.jpeg

2. live4wetsleeves

live4wetsleeves Well Known Member Member

This is the reason I don’t buy dwarf gouramis. They’re just unhealthy. They’re severely inbred for color and then pumped full of low grade antibiotics in the farms in which they’re bred. This leaves them susceptible to just about every bacterial infection after they leave the farm, and they’re prone to genetic disorders as a result of inbreeding. Every DG I’ve ever had has bloated and died, even in my most healthy tanks.
    Research shows that around 22% of DG stock in Asian aquaculture centres carry Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus. This disease affects all variants of the Dwarf Gouramis such as the sunset or neon variants.
    Symptoms: Lack of appetite, discolouration, bloating, lethargy, sores and lesions appearing on the body, and death. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but DGI is fatal and as of now, the virus cannot be treated. If your Dwarf Gourami catches this disease, it’s essentially a death sentence. When mine died, I did an autopsy and it was just fluid in the abdomen. The symptom we call “dropsy” is essentially an accumulation of fluids within the body cavity, or “edema.” From what I’ve read and understand, this is caused by organ failure, mostly that of the kidneys, which is why edema occurs. As the body swells, the scales on the body are forced outward, causing the telltale pinecone-like appearance of the fish when viewed from above.
    A variety of things can cause dropsy, though the most common causes are opportunistic bacterial infections triggered by poor environmental conditions. Certain viral and protozoan infections can cause dropsy, as well. Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus (DGIV) causes a suite of symptoms, including dropsy. Because DGIV is viral in nature it can take months to have any outwardly symptoms, as we see here. In all of my own, they died within weeks of being brought home. When I performed an autopsy, as stated earlier, the fish was full of bodily fluid and quite literally popped when punctured by my scalpel. Because DGIV causes organ failure, and general systemic degradation, it is fatal. (I just basically copied this from a thread I participated in yesterday so if anything I said doesn’t pertain to your particular case that’s why.) Everything you’re doing sounds great, PWC’s are always good. If I had to guess, your gourami likely has DGIV, I’m sorry to say. Best thing you can do is make him comfortable.

3. Greg F

Greg F Well Known Member Member

Agree with everything said above^^^^. Sadly these fish are bred to die.

4. OP
    OP
    Laina

Laina Member Member

Thanks that's what I thought. Was just verifying what I was afraid I already knew. I have never had good luck with Dwarf gourami. Now I know why. When I was young and had tanks like 20 yrs ago... Same thing. I just always assumed it was me. They would die after a few days to a month when every other fish seemed fine. Now we have a name.

5. OP
    OP
    Laina

Laina Member Member

So I put him in a floating guppy breeding tank by himself with some plants for privacy and the stinker is eatting now. pleco algae pellets. he is still bloated and scales are still sticking out but the other fish can't bother him. he is more active than he has been in a week. hmmm
    Was stressed about it last night but this morning he seems to be saying...Forget you guys. I got my force fields up nah-nah-nah-na-nah-nah!

6. OP
    OP
    Laina

Laina Member Member

I almost think his color is improved... not by leaps and bounds. Maybe he just needs a different tank with slower fish. The dwarf rainbows are speed demons, and stressful to watch.

7. live4wetsleeves

Well, keep us updated. I’m still not hopeful, even if it’s bacterial, it will likely consume him if untreated. I’m sure reversing stress helps improve him some.

8. OP
    OP
    Laina

Laina Member Member

1520520041890.jpeg 1520520095021.jpeg

9. OP
    OP
    Laina

Laina Member Member

I have a little 3 gal. I can move him into, for now any thoughts on antibiotics/treatment for this? He is actually showing a little spunk.

10. live4wetsleeves

Kanaplex (kanamycin) is a very effective broad spectrum antibiotic for gram negative strains. In most cases, dropsy is the result of a bacterial infection caused by bacteria Aeromonas. Aeromonas is a bacteria that is commonly found in most fish tanks but it is only likely to infect fish that are stressed due to overcrowding or poor water quality. Most infected fish have reddening of the body, with hemorrhagic spots in the gills, tail, fins, body wall and internal organs of the animal, while others display skin and gill ulcers. A clear lack of these symptoms makes me doubt it’s bacterial but it’s possible it’s an internal infection that may not have outwardly symptoms. Depending on the type of Aeromonas bacteria the fish has, you can treat with medication to eliminate the infection, usually antibiotics. This medication can either be injected into the fish or added to the fish's water. Most antibiotics commercially available are broad spectrum antibiotics that are used to treat the whole tank. Aminoglycosides marketed as neomycin, kanamycin and streptomycin are active against gram negative bacteria and work well in alkaline water conditions. Some antibiotics may also kill off the beneficial bacteria in the aquarium, as most nitrifying bacteria are Gram-Negative, and will affect the biological stability of the system. So I’d recommend against treating the whole tank, so it works well that you have a 3 gallon to isolate the specimen. In most cases, kanamycin is great for not killing your biological filtration but it’s recommended you buy a fresh biological booster for post treatment restoration of the bacteria. The last time I treated with kanamycin I bought a bottle of booster and literally dumped 3/4 of the bottle in over a three day period. Not once did I have any parameter spikes but I did notice some clear behavioral changes in some of my more sensitive fish during treatment.

Post-post thought: I’m worried about switching him over to an uncycled QT. I’d recommend you pull water from his current home to avoid any stress that may send him over the edge. Hopefully you at least have a bubble filter for the QT because it’s possible he could be in there a while.

11. OP
    OP
    Laina

Laina Member Member

Only symptoms are bloating, pinecone. lack of appetite, withdrawal or hiding. Color washout. Almost depressed acting. got any gourami Zoloft?
    no redness or hemorrhagic areas yet. No fin rot. No furry or fuzziness. No ich. just pooped looked fairly normal if small since he hasn' been eatting.
    do they get depressed and starve themselves?

12. OP
    OP
    Laina

Laina Member Member

he has moved more in the last hour than I've witnessed for a week. he wasn't coming up for air very often, now he is. It was like hybernation. His striping is showing back up across his mid body. crazy.
    Maybe he will be one of the few that recover? Not going to get my hopes up to high. but it is boggling.

13. live4wetsleeves

Haha no, all symptoms still point to DGIV in my opinion. Kidney failure causes the edema, so something is affecting him internally. I still think it’s DGIV but you can try to treat him for bacterial infections if you want to spend more money than he’s worth.

14. OP
    OP
    Laina

Laina Member Member

It does doesnt it. especially with noone else being sick. I have never had a gourami live very long. I had hoped that after being gone for a while from fish keeping that it would be different but no. I just thought they were really sensitive fish and parameters were wrong. fingers crossed.

15. live4wetsleeves

If he ends up passing, I would recommend Pearl gouramis if you want to continue down the gourami road. They're much healthier and don't get too terribly big. Very cute personalities too, they're the most curious little guys in my 55. They only reach around 3" IME.