I think I finally found a good pet store!!

1. PythonTheBetta

PythonTheBetta Valued Member Member

I was driving around today and saw a place called Pet Supplies Plus. There was a picture of a fish on the window so I immediately googled them. I was so happy when I saw this on their website!! http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/content.jsp?pageName=betta_fish
    Haven't had the chance to visit the actual store yet but this looks promising!!

2. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

So was it good? :)

3. OP
    OP
    PythonTheBetta

Haven't been yet, but the website gives me hope! Hoping to go later this week, I'll definitely update then!

4. Mitzi

Mitzi New Member Member

I also found a good pet store in my area! Their dogs and cats are rarely pure breeds (so less chance of puppil mill or stuff like that) are all fixed with other medical stuff and the price looks like it's only to pay back for the veterinary cost. They're also in groups in clean places and playing together, sometimes the cats are on cat trees in the shop ^^

Meanwhile, in the fish tanks aisle, their fish all look healthy and on their business card it says they are specialized in fish tanks. Saw the guy taking care of the fish tank refuse to sell a fish unless he can test the tank's water to make sure everything is fine.

When I went to get my betta, they all looked fine as well. I had brought test tubes with my fish tank water, but he sadly was on vacation and the girl seemed to be in a rush so I didn't get it tested yet. It looks like she was well instructed from him though. I'll wait until he comes back and I'll hand him tubes to make sure the parameters are good for a snail to go with my betta.

I also went 2-3 months ago to buy everything for my tank and met him, he didn't have my specific cardridge to sell because it is wal mart brand sadly, but he offered me to build himself a filter block (I think he said it had three layers of different filtration things...) if I gave him my filter's size next time I came.

5. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

I love my lfs! the owner there takes great pride in her fish and keeps her betta fish in large gallon size bowls with daily water changes.

6. fisharegreat8962

Bowls are and always will be still horrible, but better than those sucky containers they're usually in, plus water changes, so that's a first :)

I just hope they don't sell the bowls themselves.

7. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

no she recommends 5 gallons+ and regrets that she can't keep them in bigger

8. fisharegreat8962

Oh okay YAY!!!!!!!!!

That's a total first!

9. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

There's a Pet Supplies Plus in my city, but they don't sell bettas, dogs, or cats. They mainly just sell supplies, but they do have a small selection of fish, birds and reptiles. Not much a variety, but they're well kept (for a store) and the prices are pretty reasonable.

10. fisharegreat8962

That's nice. What fish do they sell there?

11. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

Mostly just they typical stuff. Goldfish, some angels, plecos, a bunch of different tetras and barbs, a few types of cats and chichlids, occasionally some loaches. Usually they don't have anything unusual or specialized in stock, but they're pretty willing to special order stuff if it's on their availability list.

12. fisharegreat8962

Nice! :)

13. OP
    OP
    PythonTheBetta

Hoping I'll get to check them out this week! I do love reasonable prices!

14. OP
    OP
    PythonTheBetta

finally made it to Pet Supplies Plus!! The prices on most of their fish supplies are great! Picked up an adjustable heater for the 10 g for under $20! they had an adjustable 25 w as well and if I need it I'll go back and grab it. Also got some Biomax and filter floss. They did sell live bettas but they were in larger cups with gravel[​IMG]
    There was a sign above the display that said the cups were NOT a permanent home for bettas and suggested that you ask an employee for help picking a tank out.

these two caught my eye[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] The little red one had the most enthusiastic betta dance! They all seemed cared for and most tried their hardest to get your attention as you walked by. The schooling fish in the bigger tanks were healthy and active as well.

Overall this was the best pet store experience I've had!

15. fisharegreat8962

Awesome! I always love to find a nice pet store that treats their animals good.