55 Gallon Tank I think I am done with Aqueon Pro heaters - Page 2

AndyP

I just had my fourth Aqueon Pro heater die on me. I think I am done with Aqueon heaters. Recommend me another brand. Need a 200 W heater for a 55 gallon tank.

coralbandit

I'll be damned. I sent Aqueon an email about the heater with the receipt attached as PDF. I never heard back from them. I just got an email from UPS that the heater is arriving tomorrow.
I found an old email from Aqueon that says their products have a "Limited Lifetime" warranty, which is only good for one replacement. That doesn't seem like a lifetime warranty. That seems like a "one replacement warranty."

Not only 1 replacement but the unit you will receive is a re built ,not new unit .
I have always sworn buy my Aqueon Pros and the old blue handled ones did well.
The new have indicator light failures so then you need thermometer to know if it is even working ..
I do still some old blue units they have held up much better then the new .
I have like 50 tanks which 40 of should have heaters ..I am out with Aqueon ..

Upvote 0

AndyP

According to a video, the Aqueon Pro heaters are the old Marineland Stealth heaters fixed. Spectrum Brands dumped their Chinese manufacturer when the whole Stealth recall happened. Aqueon stepped in and had the company fix the flaw in the heater and crank them out under the Aqueon Pro name. The new Aqeon Pros with the illuminated adjustment knob looks a heck of a lot like the old Marineland Stealth heaters.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I found an old email from Aqueon that says their products have a "Limited Lifetime" warranty, which is only good for one replacement. That doesn't seem like a lifetime warranty. That seems like a "one replacement warranty."

I guess that's the 'limited part' of it. :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to decide whether to get one of the new electronic Eheims or one of the old models and use it with an Inkbird controller. The cost adds up to about the same.

Upvote 0

AndyP

I guess that's the 'limited part' of it. :rolleyes:

I'm still trying to decide whether to get one of the new electronic Eheims or one of the old models and use it with an Inkbird controller. The cost adds up to about the same.

I would use a controller and the old heater. My point of failure on any brand of heater has been the thermostat 100% of the time. I don't think I have ever had a bad heating coil. Plus if you use the old heater with an inkbird, you get redundancy. If the heater thermostat fails, the Inkbird will kill the heater. If the Inkbird fails on, the thermostat in the heater will shut the heater off.

Plus it's way easier to check the calibration on your Inkbird with a pot of boiling water than it is an aquarium heater. You just stick the probe in some water and see what the temp says.

You can also bild a DIY Inkbird for not a lot of money. I built the one from the King of DIY video:

TQH8X3X.jpg

I think I paid $20.00 for all the parts, and it took me about 30 minutes to put it all together.

Upvote 0

coralbandit

50%of my failures with the pro were actual splits in the body and electric leak into water ..
The bad switches [thermostats] can be overcome but when more then one cracks and they have been treated no different that raises a flag of concern for me .

Upvote 0

AndyP

50%of my failures with the pro were actual splits in the body and electric leak into water ..
The bad switches [thermostats] can be overcome but when more then one cracks and they have been treated no different that raises a flag of concern for me .

Oh wow. That's rough. Wasn't that the problem the Stealth heaters had?
New Aqueon Pro arrived today.

9G7ZITv.jpg

Went to put it away in the garage as a spare and found another Aqueon Pro 200 I had exchanged under warranty a few years ago.

The one that died on me was the old style with the blue knob and the green light that's always on. Don't know how good these newer ones are.

Upvote 0

CHJ

I just had my fourth Aqueon Pro heater die on me. I think I am done with Aqueon heaters. Recommend me another brand. Need a 200 W heater for a 55 gallon tank.
Aqueon and I are done.
I have ~7 dead pros. Some went cold, some went crockpot and one went electric chair.
I talked to Aqueon about the lifetime warranty and they said they are not honoring it and will replace the heaters once if I pay all the shipping.
So the warranty I paid a pile extra for will not be honored because they have changed it after the sale. Scum bags.
Talking to the people it seems that Aqueon hired an outside firm to deal with warranties and that firm saves money by not honoring them.
New Pros at Amazon now say "limited warranty" not lifetime. They are now cheaper than the old pros but getting ripped off so blatantly is enough for me to permanently quit doing business with a company.

All heaters die quick these days (within a year or two). Best life I have gotten so far is out of Hydor. I'm currently testing Hyger.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Again I strongly recommend ink-bird controllers. These are programmable to shut the heater off at a desired temp and to also set off an alarm if the heater stops heating.

Upvote 0

AndyP

Again I strongly recommend ink-bird controllers. These are programmable to shut the heater off at a desired temp and to also set off an alarm if the heater stops heating.

Inkbird controllers are pretty cheap. You can even build one yourself for not a lot of money.

Here is what you'll need:

An inkbird ITC1000: https://www.animehentaivideos./download/two-****-****-each-other-in-this-hot-futanari-anime/

A box for it, some wire and an electrical outlet.

The King of DIY did a video on how to build it:

If you have access to a 3D printer, this enclosure is pretty nice: Inkbird Temperature Controller Box by markag

Or just spend $30.00 and buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Aquarium-Temperature-Controller-ITC-306T/dp/B07KC24CKD

There are lots of YouTube videos on how to build your own temperature controllers.

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

There are complaints about Inkbirds on the reef forums. Mostly drift/calibration issues.

Upvote 0

AndyP

There are complaints about Inkbirds on the reef forums. Mostly drift/calibration issues.

What do the reef forums recommend?

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

What do the reef forums recommend?

There isn't a standalone controller that doesn't have issues. I don't hear complaints about the Apex but that's more than a temperature controller and overkill on a freshwater tank.

Upvote 0

AndyP

The nice thing about Inkbirds is that you can calibrate them. So, just set a reminder on your calendar to check the calibration every quarter, half-year or year and you should be good.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AndyP
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank It's too wattage huh?
Replies
Views