I think I already messed up!!

1. ortizhomerun34 Initiate Member

I just set up a 29 gallon tank and ran a full cycle and added my first two fish today before finding this site. I added a pictus catfish and a red tailed shark. The person at the store said that these two would be compatible and comfortable in this size tank. Additionally they informed me that I could add many more fish to fill out the tank. Now im reading about the pictus and how it should have at least 55 gallons!! is my tank already overstocked? Can i still add more fish? Suggestions?

Thanks!!

2. GoldieBubbles Member Member

Hello Ortizhomerun34, welcome to fishlore! I would return the catfish while you still can or if they won't take them back their are plenty of good homes for him on Craigslist and such. I don't know a lot about Pictus catfish but a quick Google search shows that they need 55 gallons and up. Once you did that you will have lots of space for fish.

3. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum - many people appreciate it as a place to get advice from people who have often already made your mistakes and learned from them, and no one here is trying to sell you something (unless in the buy, sell, trade forum with 50+ posts). Sorry you got started with such poor advice. I agree that returning the pictus catfish is a good solution. I don't know about the retailed shark. Aquaphobia or TexasDomer may be able to help you more on that front. Good luck.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I had a red-tailed shark for about 8 hours. I rescued her from life in a 5 gallon community tank:rolleyes: They need a tank with at least 48" of length though so I immediately set about finding her a new home. The Pictus cat also needs a tank at least 48" long but is a predator so would not be a good mix in a community tank.

You're not the first to be given wrong information by salespeople because most of them don't know or have the wrong information themselves. I don't think anyone in a pet store bears any malice towards either their customers or the fish but being here has been a lifesaver, for me and my fish!

Welcome:)

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, you should rehome both the pictus and the shark. This will open up your stocking options!

What kind of fish do you like (specific colors, shapes, species)?