I Think I’m Doing This Anubias Thing Wrong (anchors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

all-out-fallout

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bought an anubias from a pet store. I heard they were hardy, so I just anchored its roots down with the gravel at the bottom of my tank. A little more research tells me they like exposed roots better, and that I should tether/glue the plant to a piece of rock or wood instead.

I’ve got two questions about anchors—one is a concern, and one is me probably being a little too picky. 1) What rocks are safe or good to use, and where do I get them? I read some rocks can be bad for fish. 2) Are there any white, blue/teal, or light gray rocks available for use? This is the lesser question of the two. I’m going for a white/blue/gray theme, so if possible I’d like a matching rock, but if that’s not an option I’m fine with that.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anubias is usually pretty easy. I get just enough root into the sand to prevent it from floating away. Sometimes I lay a small rock across the rhizome so that the rhizome is still exposed - this way the plant stays put, and it can put however much root it wants to into the substrate.

Most rocks are going to be safe. There's an aquascape guy on YouTube that got some out of his yard to showcase low budget planted tank options.

Your LFS and Petco usually have rocks for sale. I'm partial to dragon rock, but that won't match your scheme. Most of what I've found is light brown. Seiryu might by a good choice, especially if you can find lighter colored stones. You might also find a chunk of quartz, but I don't know what that will do to your pH, maybe nothing, maybe everything.

Driftwood is another good option, and can balance pH changes from stones that will raise pH.

Anubias will attach itself to most rocks, even if they seem smooth. Same with driftwood. I've been using a biodegradable twine, and my plants should be anchored by the time it dissolves completely. It does get kinda gross looking while it breaks down though. Some people use fishing line, which is also fine, but won't go away until you cut it off.

Here is some ohko/dragon stone/rock with anubias and mondo grass tied to it. The anubias is growing roots in all directions, and will probably soon be able to stay there without help.
IMG_20180314_090439.jpg

And here's the result of my spending a huge chunk of money on planting a tank, and tying plants to driftwood.
IMG_20180314_190500.jpg

These are just some ideas, since I'm not sure how big your plants are, or what look you're trying to achieve.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bought an anubias from a pet store. I heard they were hardy, so I just anchored its roots down with the gravel at the bottom of my tank. A little more research tells me they like exposed roots better, and that I should tether/glue the plant to a piece of rock or wood instead.

I’ve got two questions about anchors—one is a concern, and one is me probably being a little too picky. 1) What rocks are safe or good to use, and where do I get them? I read some rocks can be bad for fish. 2) Are there any white, blue/teal, or light gray rocks available for use? This is the lesser question of the two. I’m going for a white/blue/gray theme, so if possible I’d like a matching rock, but if that’s not an option I’m fine with that.
if you want white maybe try some white quarts?

kim&marc

Reaction score
So if your into the gray/white look into elephant stone, I think most places use that name for it as it's gray, like an elephants color lol. My fiancee found this which you might like (2nd pic) I'm not even sure the name but just make sure when gluing any rhizome plants to make sure the direction of growth isn't blocked or covered in glue looks great tho!
1525890232229.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 73 67.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 17.6%

Top Bottom