I think chytrid fungus may have killed my adf!

  • Thread starter

amber_lea84

New Member
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
Points
86
Experience
Just started
ugh!

So two weeks ago I bought two frogs, and they both seemed very different.

One was kind of fat and pale, and the other was thin and dark, and they both had very different personalities.

And I was scared the one was sick, but he was eating and running around just fine. So I decided he was just special.


And they were both shedding funny. Like it was coming off in pieces all the time.


And I thought it was a water quality issue! So I just kept doing 20% water changes every time they weren't looking so hot. (Floating near the top and hiding a lot or shedding more. One day the pale one even climbed out of the water!)


The pale one kept turning pink and having a bit of puffiness. But it seemed to be getting better...and I did research on red leg and other diseases and it didn't sound like that, so I figured he was probably okay. I just kind of hoped he was getting over something.


And again, I just thought it was the ammonia levels in the water. (I JUST started using Prime like two days ago when I figured out the ammonia is coming from my tapwater!)


And then I found him stiff and floating at the top of the tank about an hour ago.

And then I was researching dropsy because he was slightly puffy...and then someone mentioned the chytrid fungus on a forum...and I was like, "huh, I've never heard of that."

And I typed that in.

And that sounds like exactly what he had!


Now I'm looking at the other one because now I have definite cause to believe there's a serious problem and he's way more lathargic than when I got him. And he looks thinner. And he has a tiny bit of skin hanging off his leg and I'm scared.

I love these frogs! I'm so upset the other one died! He was my favorite because he was a freakin' weirdo.

But I don't know what to do. I can't tear down my tanks because they have living substrate and plants. I know! My bad! It was a noob mistake.

I wasn't planning to get frogs! I just wanted a planted tank and then I saw these frogs at the store and I had to have them.

I just tried to feed my frog and he had no interest. I poke him in the head and he doesn't even care. He just keeps going back and forth between the gravel and the top like he's exhausted (he swims kind of crooked) and he's losing his mind. And then he'll float there, curled up, or float under a leaf.

He doesn't look pale like the other one, but something's clearly not okay.

And if he dies, I can't have frogs again in the same tank, right?
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,221
Reaction score
2,440
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry about your frog
Hopefully it wasn't Chytrid.

What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
ADF's are sensitive to water conditions.

Here's a link we have that explains a little about the fungus along with a link for Lamisal baths. The 2nd link also explains how to sterilize your tank.

Good luck!
 
  • Thread starter

amber_lea84

New Member
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
Points
86
Experience
Just started
My ammonia was .25, but I use Prime and do small water changes every day. And my nirtrite and nitrate haven't been showing up on my API tests at all.


I have some shrimp and snails in the same tank and they've seemed really happy.

[edit] I can't see the links, can you give them to me again?

Thanks!
 

angel_scout

Well Known Member
Messages
512
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Experience
Just started
The Nitrate bottle.2 you need to practically abuse ( shake it, whack it against a wall etc) it to get an accurate reading
 
  • Thread starter

amber_lea84

New Member
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
Points
86
Experience
Just started
That's what I thought. I thought it was me until I read about the fungus and realized he was showing symptoms from the day I got him.
 
  • Thread starter

amber_lea84

New Member
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
Points
86
Experience
Just started
And what about the link for cleaning the tank?

Everything I've read has said that people usually deal with it by throwing everything away and bleaching, bleaching, bleaching.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom