Important I think 2 of our bettas have fin rot!! :( :(

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi, I think my sister's betta(and possibly one of mine) may have fin rot. :-[ I don't believe I've ever dealt with fin rot before(I was told a previous betta had it, but from what I've read, I'm starting to believe he didn't really have it) I've posted pics of both my betta(his fins are starting to look a little ragged) and hers. I really think that hers has something. His fins are starting to fray, and I don't really think there's anything in his tank that he could tear them on. I've attatched a pic of her betta's fins. Sorry it's so bad. I'll try and put some more on later. He's starting to get a hole in the middle of his underfin. Her water conditions are . . . . . . . . .less than pristine.(3 gal. tank, w/ monthly water changes) Could someone tell me what to do???

Attachments

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow, monthly water changes in a 3g? I think that's the first thing that needs to change.
Yeah, I thought so. So, like 25% daily water changes? I've got this Jungle water conditioner that removes ammonia, and it's supposed to help with their natural "slime coat" will putting extra of that in help?? Here's a pic of my betta. I'm a bit concerned about him. It's not a great pic, sorry about that. His tail had some splits in it from a fight he got into a while back, but they're all gone now except that one big one. Also, his underfin(might be called analfin??) seems to have kinda ragged edges. He's in a community tank, so not really sure how to do water changes. My 1 gal. emergency back-up tank has an unexpected rescue guy in it, so he can't go in there. Not really sure what to do:-\ my dad isn't too happy with all the fish tanks that are piling up around here(only 3!!!) I was hoping to convince him to let me get a 5 gal in the next couple months so I could divide it and put Wolfgang(currently in 1 gal.) and Charlemagne(in community) in there. Any advice guys? I could really use some . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Attachments

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
25% daily is a start. I think I've seen many folk recommend 50% daily if you can manage. It's not that big a difference in such a small tank anyway. Either way, daily water changes are a *huge* improvement over monthly ones. Are you taking care of both your betta and your sister's with these daily water changes?

I'm not familiar with the stress coat product you mentioned, but it sounds like it can't hurt. You might also try soaking his food in garlic juice or Vita Chem. Garlic juice from store-bought minced garlic in a jar is a lot easier to find around the house if you don't want to test your dad's nerves with more fish-related requests.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are you taking care of both your betta and your sister's with these daily water changes?
Um, not quite sure what you're asking. If you're asking if I'd be doing the water changes for both bettas, I don't think so. I'm going to at least ask her to do them. If she's really concerned about the fish, she'll do it. If you mean will I will be giving the one in the community tank daily water changes . . . . . .not really sure about that . . . . . .maybe I should go ahead and buy the 5 gal, and just put him in it for a while to feed him garlic soaked food. Other than that, not sure what I can do. Can't really do big daily water changes on the community. Maybe I'll wait a few days and see if it gets worse .......

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Um, not quite sure what you're asking. If you're asking if I'd be doing the water changes for both bettas, I don't think so. I'm going to at least ask her to do them. If she's really concerned about the fish, she'll do it. If you mean will I will be giving the one in the community tank daily water changes . . . . . .not really sure about that . . . . . .maybe I should go ahead and buy the 5 gal, and just put him in it for a while to feed him garlic soaked food. Other than that, not sure what I can do. Can't really do big daily water changes on the community. Maybe I'll wait a few days and see if it gets worse .......
I wasn't sure from your posts whether you were indicating that the 25% daily water changes were for one fish or both or just as a hypothetical, that's all. I mean, either way, the best course of treatment for fin rot is to step up water changes, it's not like it matters who does it or what tank the fish is in. The tank parameters in your sister's 3g are almost certainly horrible because of the once-monthly regimen. That fish is a fighter. I'd have no hesitations recommending more frequent water changes for him, sight unseen, whether he has fin rot or not. Your betta in the community tank though, the pic isn't really clear. It's possible it's not even fin rot (yet) and it's just fin tearing from fights with other fish or even snagging or self-biting. Do you see any white on the fins where it's fraying? Of course, fin rot (or any other opportunistic disease) could develop from the stress of fighting or poor water conditions. If water changes aren't in the cards for the community tank, maybe you could separate him if he's being bullied. He'd probably be happier and healthier in a tank all to himself anyway, preferably 2.5g at a minimum and 5g+ ideally. (That goes for all bettas.) If you can't separate him OR do extra water changes, I guess you're just relying on garlic or Vita Chem to help his natural immune system to repair the fin damage and/or fight off infection. Again, just my :.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, thanks Midthought My sis will def start the water changes tomorrow(he had a very un-thorough one today). My dad has given me permission to get a 5 gal. to divide for my boys!!!!! Just asked "So, since we have 3 tanks anyway, would you mind if I changed one of them to a 5 gal?" He said yes, with the condition that the 1 gal. has to come down. Still has to clear my mom, but I'm 99.99% sure she'll agree. So I'll be getting that in the next couple of weeks. YAY!!!!!! On the subsatrate on that, should I use the glass flat-bottomed marble-like thingys I have in the 1 gal. now, or would gravel be better? Thanks for all your help everyone. I really appreciate it. Not sure what I'd do with out all the great people on FL

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats on the larger tank. Your fish will be happier in larger digs, I'm sure.

If live plants aren't an issue, your substrate is just whatever you aesthetically prefer with the tank/decor/fish. Do try to put some tallish decor in the tank though. Bettas like to rest on things like broad-leafed plants. If you do keep live plants of any sort, gravel will be better than marbles, but just read up on the specific plant species to get an idea of what will work best.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Stress Coat as mentioned before is a great product. I have a large bottle on hand. It contains aloe to help with the healing process, also replaces the slime coat and nearly everyone here has it on hand at all times. It's just one of the more natural products, that are not like meds pumped full of chemicals.

That along with Vita Chem and garlic previously mentioned too should help, but with fin conditions, it really is surprising how much pristine water conditions does for them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom