55 Gallon Tank I Switched To A "bb" It"s Naked!

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well thanks to Harpua (sp) and others I was finally convinced after a week of the first purchase of Discus a Cobalt (I bought a Blue Dimaond Yesterday) (I just can not afford to buy them all at once I am trying though) (sell some XBOX 360 games I do not play any more to help, lol)

Well like I was saying I had very little gravel to begin with just enough to cover the bottom barely, well I vacumed the gravel,then my wife and I scooped it out by hand and I WAS AMAZZZZED at how much "****" was still left over Harpua was dead on I vacumed very well I htought and I still had to vacume out a lot after I took out the gravel I was amazed!

So now I have a totally nude tank, with a floating fake plant on top, one fake plant thats on a wighted base, an air stone, heater, one small PVC pipe about 4 inches in length, and I thinking of putting in one of those clay pots just for some kind of retreat for the fish so I take a total of three things out the pipe, pot, and one plant and shes naked. I have found it so much easier to clean p every day and vacume replacing maybe about 10 gallons each time.

I was also amazed at how dirty the tank gets feeding these fish the way they need to be feed you guys are absolutely correctit would be impossible to get it all out with out a BB.

A cople of questions though once grown I was thinking of like a fine black sand substrate is this cool? and I was hining about using Bamboo put not planted into the substrate directly put rather the little ceramic pots with the gravel in them, this way I can easily take them out when its time to vacume the tank? I was going to getyou know maybe like 10 or 12 of them for some coverage for the fish and for it to look nice is this ok? I wanted to get like a dozen Rummy nose tetras for dither fish and max out with maybe 5 - 6 Discus total?

Also I thought this might happen my new Blue Dimaond is getting Bullyd a little bit usally at feedings other than that the two swim and hang out together, their sizes are as far as I can tell the exact same so I guess its a your the new guy I will eat first sort of thing I worried about my BD not getting enough so once the Cobalt eats I put more in the side of the tank the BD is and put my hand in the tank to deter the cobalt from going to the other side and picking on him this usally works and the cobalt usually will allow the BD to eat once he had his fill but I want them tog et along you knwo? I only had the BD a day so will thi subside after hes been in there a few days or when I add more Discus are will I have to do something else more drastic????

I need some help here this may belong in another thread but I started this one so I fugred I would put it out there its alot Iknow but this is how I learn oh and I follow the advice I am given after I look into it and get a 2nd maybe 3rd oppinon butI do what I think is best and Harpua and other were rite a BB all the way, as this is my living room "show tank" once they are full grown eating 3 times a day rather than like 5 - 7 I would like to decorate as I stated above if even only a little so as you can see I havea lot of questions and I need some help here please guys thank you!!!

wate parametrs are, PH,6.5 - 7.0 - GH, 5 - Nitrites, 0 - Amonia, 0 - Temp 86f
Not sure of the Nitrates but I do constant WC so I doubt thats an issue and I use a really good water conditoner a little more than the recommended just because I feel safer doing that I guess its ok it not much just a couple of ml's more than what they say to use and I have Ammo Lock on hand in case of an emergency. So what do you think about my parameters as well may as well put that out there I asked everything else your probally getting ready to kill me I am a nervous Discus dad and want to do them rite so help me out here SOS all!! and Thank you all thus far you all been a huge help Thank you in advance on this hug book I wrote here as well, lol I am done now thanks I will shut up. just smack me!

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am still waiting for an expert advice, and oppinon on some (or all would be even better) to my questions. I have been searching the net and I am not finding the information I am seeking and when I do I find that there are contridictions between some of the responses. I know thats to be expected but I have come to trust most of the experts here within this forum and am there for waiting to hear from them. Again thank you guys/girls in advance for any answers you can provide in respose to my lengthy post, all feed back is very welcome and apreaciated again thank you for whatever expert opionon and advice you can provide.

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Black substrate will make the fish turn dark, a few potted plants are common, the one fish will bully the other till it dies, you need 6 discus to spread out the aggression, and you need to quarantine properly as well, also get a sponge filter, and put a sponge over your intake and wash it out every day,no expert I just read the discus forums on simplydiscus alot.

Last edited:

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well like I said and even as of rite now they are both swiming together and hanging out together just fine. It only seems to be at feeding time where I have a problem and eventually the cobalt will let the Blue Dimond feed, sometimes I intervine just to make sur ehe is getting his fair share other than that I have no problems. As for the substrate the black sand is what they were useing in all of their Discus tanks and I thought that the fish were very colorful, I did not notice any of them dark in color, the used black sand substrate in all their tanks, In fact I have read that dark substrat will bring out the colors and you can really see their colors against a dark back ground as opposed to a lite colored one???? any thoughts???

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually you will only notice them getting dark in pigeon blood based fish. Your diamond and cobalt should be fine in color with black sand.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So then if I am to have black sand for instance I should get the lighter colored discus? and not the darker colored ones as this will cause there colors not to stand out? is this correct? Also I have very good lighting in this tank and the guy who I got them off of was using black sand as a substrate in all of his tanks not sure why but it be a good question to ask. Sand I could see because its not going to hurt the fish at all nut I can not understand why the choice in blk. I just figured if black substare sand and some drift wood and poted bamboo was working in his tank why would it not work in mine? and the fish he had in this set up were the same ones I purchased so perhaps I can go ahead and add the substarte driftwood, and bamboo now as his tank was this way when I purchased my fish. His tanks were all at 85 and looked very clean he did daily to every other day waterchanges and was running Renna xp2 canister filters on each one of his six plus tanks as am I. So I guess my question is if he has his set up like that why can't I? I am no expert but the fish I bought do no look stunted in anyway eat normally play swim interact with one another and if I had to guess where about 2.5 - 3 inches in length? but thats just a guess and no I did not include the fins just the body.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hey fish monster ya probably getting sik of my post. i had 2 discus once a blue diamond and cobalt discus as i learned all discus are different and have different behaviors i started with just my blue diamond conveniently named dory. so when i bout dory she was in a tank with one other discus and was happy and full of colour once i got her home she swam to one corner of my tank and over days she stopped eating lost colour and started looking down at the bottom on the tank constantly weird hey. well 2 weeks after i saved up and bought another discus witch is the cobalt discus and like out of nowhere dory came alive agen and was a happy healthy discus like over night. they swam constantly together like best buds but when feeding time came it was like a war in my tank lol but over time the fighting stopped. but you could try frozen food cut in 2 pieces one at one side of the tank and other at the other. sorry if i didnt help the problem should go away once you get more discus but mine now still fight at feeding time and i have 7. sorry 4 bad spelling gramer!

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah that does help a lot actually, I mean they swim together now all the time they really seem to enjoy each other company but at feeding time its a another ball game. I do cut those cubes of Blood worms up and even when I drop them to opisite sides of the tank my cobalt swims up to the Blue Dimand and seems to have the attitude no I am not eating that rite now but I am not going to let you either. Sometimes I put my hand in the tank to keep the cobalt from doing this and it does allow the blue diamond to eat in peace. But usually if I sit there and watch long enough eventually the cobalt will allow for the BD to eat after awhile I suppoe the Cobalt the first one I had in there wants the BD to know who the boss is. I plan on getting two more this week end then I will have four in the tank and two of them willbe placed at the same time so we will have to see what happens then I am sure the dynamics of the tank will change all over again. I know one thing theres no way the cobalt is going to be able to keep three other discus in check by him self there just going to have to learn to all play nice. One question how many of those cubes do you think I will need at each feeding with 4 in the tank how about 6 in the tank my ultimate goal is to have 6 when I am said and done. Rite now I usually put a whole cube in cut up and its usually gone in a few minutes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom