I swear out tank is never going to cycle!!!!

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's been what... 4 months now and our main tank just isn't cycling!!!
Before, I did have to medicate the tank so that killed the bacteria... ok fine...
We got Bio-Spira 3 times now.. first time it was bad... 2nd time, it did nothing, 3rd time it actually started cycling the tank again but then the ammonia kept rising rising rising and then all of a sudden the nitrites went poof while ammonia keeps going up!
GRRRRR... this is frustrating the **** out of me.
I have absolutely no idea why the nitrite suddenly disappeared unless it was the Prime I was using that did it. Which isn't supposed to affect the cycling process any.

I don't know how my poor fish, specially the danios are still alive. I swear..... this is just... UGH.....

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure why the nitrite would just disappear like that, and there isn't any reason Prime would get rid of it. It only binds it so it isn't toxic, but can't get rid of it. I was able to cycle my tank without the ammonia ever going above 0.5ppm (I was doing daily 25% water changes). And once the nitrites started I had to do 2 25% water changes per day to keep it at no higher then 2.0. All the while using Prime. What kind of filter is on your tank and are you using activated carbon? Sure sounds like a mystery.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
We were just using the filter that came with the tank. A regular HOB bag filter.
We just got another filter to go onto the tank though figuring overfiltering and giving more places for bacteria to grow would be a good thing. It's one of those bio-wheels made for up to 30 gallon tanks.

Yeah I didn't think Prime would be the problem considering I was using it in my other tanks as well, and my 10 gallon cycled just fine while using it.
I hve no idea what's wrong.. maybe the low ph could be the problem... but I don't see why the nitrite would just disappear either.

It's just..... really frustrating.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. The bio-wheel should really help. Maybe it just wasn't enough bio media for the good bacteria to grab a hold of in the HOB filter. Hope thing change for the better and you finish soon... GOOD LUCK!!

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks... I hope the extra filter will help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom