I suddenly came to own 800 gallon fresh water aquarium but have zero knowledge

1. g

garbn21 New Member Member

Hi friends : I have always thought I would have an aquarium but so far have no knowledge of experience of it. The thing is my dream of owning aquarium realized sooner than I thought when I bought a new house a month ago. The house has 800 gallon fresh water aquarium built in the wall. He told me there are about 150 African cichlids fishes in there. The previous owner was having it taken care by local company. The company is asking me a charge of 300-500 dollars every month to check it once a month and to bring supplies. I will d this for some time but can't afford to continue this. I like to learn how to take care of the aquarium by myself and decrease the cost. Pleas throw me ideas - anything is helpful as I am totally brand new to the subject.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Wow that's an amazing size tank to have inherited!
    Texas has given you a useful link, there's also the Fishlore e book which has lots of info here
    https://www.fishlore.com/freshwater-aquarium-book.htm
    Any questions you have I'm sure the members will be able to help you with, especially our cichlid keepers, so just ask.
    Don't forget some pics of the tank, we like pics :)

4. OP
    OP
    g

Thank you!
    I don't know but going to read your link. Appreciated!

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Wow one should be so lucky! Well if he had cichlids and that size tank, it sounds like its been established for awhile! Congratulations!

6. OP
    OP
    g

323.jpg

324.jpg

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful! Even more jealous now :)

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Beautiful tank, I bet the previous owner was sad to leave it behind

9. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

That is stunning!!! I am so jealous :)

Well you definitely picked the right Forum! You're going to get wonderful support on here!

That is a pretty huge monthly payment for maintenance! I don't blame you for wanting to learn to do it yourself!

Congrats on the new tank!!

10. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I would not wanna change 400 gallons of water per week. Wow! What a job. Man that is a gorgeous aquarium. But 3-500 dollars a month. It looks well maintained. My advice pay close attention to how they maintain it, so you can do it yourself. Welcome to fishlore and good luck

11. joiakimfish

joiakimfish Valued Member Member

That's amazing I allways wanted something like that ... Do you know the species you have ... Maby we could help you identify some of them so you can understand their behavior better

12. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, most can only dream about owning a tank that size and it really is stunning! You're so lucky!

13. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah and that 3 - 500 dollars was for a monthly visit and not weekly! So was the previous owner doing work on it as well? Or else maybe it is set up where it only needs monthly water changes...it looks like it might be pretty high tech!
    garbn21 you should share some pics of what's behind those walls!! I bet it's pretty amazing back there...or under there, too!

14. Dave125g

Probably got an automatic python water changer. May only have to do a monthly gravel vacuum.

15. OP
    OP
    g

There is a big filter in the back. I will share the pics soon

@joiakmfish - all I know for now is African cichlids. I will try to figure out the details

16. Emze17

Emze17 Valued Member Member

Oh my goodness, that's my DREAM right there!! Congrats. And there was me thinking my 26gallon built in was good!

17. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Subbing. That's quite the tank, and the payments came with a house built around it ;)

18. Dave125g

I always wanted to know. What's it like lo live at sea world?

19. kimberlyKeidron

kimberlyKeidron Valued Member Member

I have to follow this. Amazing tank.

20. martini4

martini4 Valued Member Member

I would definitely learn how the filtration system on that works inside and out. The biggest part of keeping fish is just keeping the water clean and stable. Awesome setup!