I sucked my betta up in the gravel siphon... Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Emily Caldwell, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Emily Caldwell

Emily CaldwellValued MemberMember

It happened 10 days ago and I haven't posted about it because I'm ashamed. I obviously wasn't watching closely and he got sucked up in there. I panicked and started shaking the tube and must have flung him without realizing it because then I couldn't find him and I spent a frantic 90 seconds looking for him before I found him on my dresser. I put him back in the tank, sure he would die, but he was alive. The next couple of days I watched him closely and he was spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank, but still swimming around a lot, begging for food and eating really well as usual. He's a halfmoon and was already having persistent fin rot issues and now his fins are really banged up :(

What can I do to help him heal? I feel like it's time to give him antibiotics for the fin rot since I have tried both AQ salt and meth blue to no avail. I'm changing his water every other day and have been for over a month now. I don't want to put him in a QT container because it seems to stress him out and he has already been through a very stressful experience. I don't want to stress him more and risk losing him, but I also feel like the fin rot is worse since the injury and I need to be proactive about getting him healthy.

I appreciate any advice you can offer. I know he still might die, but he's very resilient and I'm holding out hope for him!

And yes, I feel awful. Sooooo bad. He always wants to hang out near the siphon and I have to be careful to shoo him away. Not anymore though, now he's scared of it.

2. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

Have you figured out the cause of the fin rot?
    What are the water parameters in the tank?
    What temperature is the water at?
    What does his diet consist of?

Also maybe start with 15% water changes every day.
    Don't feel to bad I sucked up a neon tetra once now I'm more careful during water changes.

3. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

I haven't figured out the cause of the fin rot, no.
    Water parameters: Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 5 ppm (It's a 5 gallon planted tank) pH 7.4-7.6ish. Temp: 79-80 F
    Diet: Hikari Biogold Betta pellets with a couple occasional bloodworms here and there

4. Claire Bear

Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

Hi and sorry your little guy is having issues. I would lie if I said I had never had something like that happen.
    It takes a very, very long time-months for fins to completely heal and they may never go back to where they started.
    However, if you are seeing worsening symptoms-instead of slowly getting better, it may be time to treat more aggressively.
    The best medicine for this issue is usually clean water but if that isn't working, an anti biotic might be in order.

5. I keep fish

I keep fishWell Known MemberMember

Everything looks good. Just keep good Water quality. Also stated by Bluestreakfl in another thread Indian almond leaf has a antibacterial property you could give one a try.

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hope your betta feels better, mine is going through a case of fin rot also.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

OK thank you, I may try that. I'm very hesitant to use chemicals so that would be a good compromise. I guess I will have to go back to daily water changes. I was really hoping not to have to do that anymore.

I'm going to move him to a 20 Long with 2 dual sponge filters in a couple months, I just don't have the money to set up that tank right now and I'm moving in 3 weeks anyway.

8. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Oh no! I hope he gets better for you! I've sucked a platy before, he went all the way through the tube into the container. He was fine though luckily, he was the little guy, he didn't even seem particularly phased by the experience :/ my betta tried to get sucked up once too, i was just vacuuming away and felt this little "slurk" I just clipped him I think. If they just weren't so darn curious...

IAL would be my suggestion too, if those don't help go from there with actual medication. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I suck up my shrimp all the time and my cpds quite a bit. Sometimes theyre just to inquisitive for their own good. My water runs out into an empty bucket that is only used to collect old.tank water so i can scope them up and chuck them straight back into the tank.
    Lots of fresh clean water is usually the best thing for fish.
    Good luck with treating him.

10. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

Update: He is doing really well. Still eating every pellet I give him and begging for more. He's a bit less active than usual and spending more time resting on the bottom, but he is still coming to say hello and swimming around enough to keep me from worrying. I figure he probably needs to rest a lot to get better. I've been doing daily water changes. His fins are still a mess but he seems to be in good spirits so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll recover. Thanks for all the support, guys!

11. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Glad to hear he's doing better, hopefully those fins heal up. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice