I Sense Bad Things Coming.

Astrogopher1

Reaction score
I have a 39 gallon with a Topfin 100 Silent that I have cycled through the ammonia and nitrite spike with two small goldfish for about a month.

However I am sure I added too many fish. After removing the goldfish to another 10 gallon tank, I added 3 Red Wag Platys, three small blue mollys, one albino pleco and two yellow mystery snails. Fish seem to be healthy, eating and swimming well. My ammonia is still running 0-.25. But, nitrites are high daily at 1 and nitrates are 80 plus. I am changing about 25 percent water daily to keep nitrite and nitrate low enough per day (I hope).

Before I added the new fish, I added a pound of Topfin ceramic biomedia to the filter. I also removed one of the carbon cartridges. I would prefer not to use either of them but I am not sure how much bacteria colony lives on them. So I am leaving one until I am sure my ceramic biomedia is working.

Questions are...Am I behind the nitrogen curve with the extra fish? Can I leave the fish with consistent daily water changes? Will the new filter media catch up? Did I make a mistake throwing away one of the carbon filter cartridges?

I know that Topfin is not top of the line, but they seem sufficient for what I am doing now. All will be upgraded as I learn more and am more willing to spend more money. Right now loosing a 15 cent goldfish is ok but I am not willing to risk more till I know more.

Thank your for your time and I am sorry I could make post more concise.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
There's no set time to cycle, you cycle until there is no ammonia, no nitrite, and some nitrates.

Cycling is easier and faster with products such as Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability. Prime will neutralize ammonia up to 1ppm for 24 hours, Stability is a bottled bacterial starter culture to establish a cycle faster. Make sure you do plenty of partial water changes to keep the water as healthy as you can.

Hope you have a plan for those feeders when you're finished, they can't live in a tank that small long term.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would recommend trying to keep (ammonia + Nitrite) less than 1.0 total (via water changes of 50%), and then use a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime to detoxify the remainder.

Welcome to Fishlore. I have learned so much here - I hope you can too! It increases my enjoyment of the hobby.

musserump09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Adding that many fish at once will cause levels like this to happen to a newly cycled tank. I would add a sponge to the filter that way when you change your carbon filter pad it will not jeopardize the bacteria colony. Unfortunately it looks as if you might have lost most of it since nitrites are present.

Seachem prime and stability are great products and will help aid this problem and keep your fish alive.

Keith83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was doing a fish cycle(7 giant danios, 55 gallon tank).
recently using tetra safe start initially and then seachem stability and prime. About 2 1/2 weeks in I had about .25 amonia, 0 nitite but 80+ nitrate. I had added 6 Corys and a rubbernose pleco right before I tested the water. was advised to do 50 percent water changes every day or so and to use prime and stability. Once my nitrates git to 20 I only do water changes once a week. So I'd up the amount and frequency of the water changes and treat with prime to detoxify the nitrates and any amonia. PS. I have not lost a single fish

Astrogopher1

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I ordered a sponge for the intake pipe of the filter. I also cut two small sponges under the ceramic media. I am guessing this is enough. How does one know if there is enough media? It seems like there should be some science to this, but it feels like more experience and art to determine media levels. I will buy some prime tomorrow.

Fahn said:
Hope you have a plan for those feeders when you're finished, they can't live in a tank that small long term.
By "feeder" do you mean the goldfish? The lingo still evades me. Theoretically, if the goldfish survive they are going into my neighbors 55 gallon. They are tiny now and hope the 10 gallon will be cycled before they are too big. However, they seem to be growing as I watch.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Astrogopher1 said:
By "feeder" do you mean the goldfish? The lingo still evades me. Theoretically, if the goldfish survive they are going into my neighbors 55 gallon. They are tiny now and hope the 10 gallon will be cycled before they are too big. However, they seem to be growing as I watch.
Cheap goldfish are sold as live food for larger fish, hence "feeder". They are baby common goldfish and reach over 12" in length fully grown. Even a single one will be too large for a 55g and they are truly pond fish not intended to be kept in a tank.

Astrogopher1

Reaction score
Ummm... Well, that'll learn me. Read the full description and full grown size of the fish one purchases.

musserump09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Astrogopher1 said:
Thanks everyone. I ordered a sponge for the intake pipe of the filter. I also cut two small sponges under the ceramic media. I am guessing this is enough. How does one know if there is enough media? It seems like there should be some science to this, but it feels like more experience and art to determine media levels. I will buy some prime tomorrow.
Bacteria grows on all kinds of surfaces in the tank. I used to run a top fin 40 and set it up with a sponge shoved all the way to the bottom. Slide the carbon filled pad. And boom let it ride. Granted I ran multiple filters at this time because I was scared of changing carbon pads since they do collect bacteria after a month.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom