I Seen The Worst Case Of Fishkeeping Today.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So i have become the "fish guy" on my street, well today my neighbor a few doors down knocked on my door and told me they no longer wanted their fish if i wanted them. So i went down to take a look and what i saw blew me away. They had a 6 inch common pleco and a ryukin gold fish, in one of those bug catching cages. The pleco was longer than the cage itself, and it held less than a half gallon of water. I instantly said give me 10 minutes and ill be back. So i went home and got my 40 gal breeder that had been in my closet for years and filled it up on my kitchen table and dosed it with prime and went back on got the fish. I plan to take them to my lfs on tuesday when they open back up because i dont want them but wasnt going to leave them there.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've seen worse. One time, I saw more than 7 goldfish (at least 3 common goldfish) and a plecostomus in a 5 gallon. They were all full grown (except for the pleco) and I think they all died a year after seeing them. And then I saw this one person that had 8 common goldfish and a corydora in something that looked like a bowfront less than 40 gallons.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The guy i got my 55 off never had a filter and he had all manner of stuff in the tank ranging from gold fish to fire eels, there was a parrot in there a yellow one and when he finished emptying the tank for me i asked him for it, it was covered in ammonia burns it looked like chicken skin, but he wanted an extra £10 but i just had too this is him now.
0319750c989dec3d76b8e7fcdafb0f77.jpg

He even has a wife.
d33dfcafe98655ae7547c7aeffb2e22c.jpg

A house.
bdfd14225d48c446a17b8edc5d28bb20.jpg

Fish happiness.

JesseMoreira06

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
These things happened all the time, I blame mostly LFS and also some people are just lazy to do some reasearch. I've seen and heard so many stories of fish cramped up in the littlest aquariums possible. Oscars and other big cichlids being kept in 10g , handful of goldfish in 5g sometimes even smaller , common pleco in a 5g ect.. also heard of some people who don't even use a de-clhorinator when doing their water change every 2 months or so because they don't believe in it......people keeping 1 fish of 20 deferent species that should be in schools.

but what you did was great to take them and hopefully someone will get them and give them a better and bigger home.

bopsalot

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO such behavior should be illegal, and the person responsible brought up on animal cruelty charges, just like someone would be for neglecting a dog, cat, or horse's basic needs. Just sayin'...

And hooray for coming to the rescue!

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You see all the bala sharks at pets at home (petco) and you know 90% are destin for 55g tanks max i think they should be labelled tropical pond fish really because even if i had a display tank big enough they would be my last choice to put in it. But i would love a pond full of them but the uk and tropical pond doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bopsalot said:
IMO such behavior should be illegal, and the person responsible brought up on animal cruelty charges, just like someone would be for neglecting a dog, cat, or horse's basic needs. Just sayin'...

And hooray for coming to the rescue!
It is actually illegal in Canada if a "mother forgets to feed the goldfish for her child, while the child is away at summer camp" and is punishable for 2 years in prison or up to a 5 000 000 dollar fine.

Source: Bill C-10 Cruelty to Animals at 182 (1) (c) number 12 and 13.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fahn said:
My brother's girlfriend's parents have a bala shark and a common pleco in a filterless 10 gallon...
...and you probably can't say a word about it. I deal with that with one family member. It drives me crazy. I don't even go over there because I don't want to see that fish in the tank.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
KimberlyG said:
...and you probably can't say a word about it. I deal with that with one family member. It drives me crazy. I don't even go over there because I don't want to see that fish in the tank.
They just brag about how the "little guys have around for 5 years and are the size of my hand" and think it's funny that the filter is so choked with algae and muck that no water passes through it anymore. Both fish should be in a tank over 180 gallons and at least a foot long...

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your case definitely beats the 5 zebra danios kept at a 1lt bowl a neighbor showed me. She said the guys at the LFS told her the fish would do great and did not need much care... They bought them so their kids would stop crying.

MMckellar

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They look so happy!!
grantm91 said:
The guy i got my 55 off never had a filter and he had all manner of stuff in the tank ranging from gold fish to fire eels, there was a parrot in there a yellow one and when he finished emptying the tank for me i asked him for it, it was covered in ammonia burns it looked like chicken skin, but he wanted an extra £10 but i just had too this is him now. View attachment 322657

He even has a wife. View attachment 322658
A house.
View attachment 322659
Fish happiness.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom