I Rescued Albino Oscar From Neighbor. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mytell1929, Aug 10, 2019.

1. mytell1929

mytell1929New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Need advise. Please. I have always kept Cichlids but never a Oscar. I happened to have a tank I had purchased on a FB group. I had actually purchased it to put under my covered porch. It’s I believe 50 gallons At the least. So IT has been set up and running with no fish for the last month. Walked over to ask a neighborhood teen to mow my grass. I see this huge white fish in a 20 gallon tank only half filled with water. The fish had to lay sideways to be under water. I insisted on taking the fish. Insisted is my way of keeping it clean for group purposes!!!!

So I have it home. It wasn’t in a heated tank. The water filthy. After several hours it is atleast trying to swim upright. But is it normal for them
    To have like google eyes??? It does appear to have some size of a needle holes on its head.

Should I gradually start heating tank and do epsom salt or I do have several meds but have only used for a minimal problems.

It’s there Universal treatment that would treat for a hole range of things.

The lady said her son brought it home from college a guy was gonna just “chunk” it. OMG.

I am aware I am in over my head but I could not would not leave that
    71568aee94faa4fd8f220e64f1b30c18.355f89335a49ee61e2cc3a05fcdaf390.a7aa49e815cdf8cb603b88714321ca57.837c43bdc6b70ae77b741a29643c0434.ace23ea76756beb31e2329bd8900d0ce.
    50a63100d83099cb5f21e1a25cdcaa07.826d6127e45dc7cbad072b2f0e2241ef. ]

2. Minxxy

MinxxyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +426
    Oh man, ya I would gradually heat the tank 1 or 2 degrees an hour until you reach option temp. You can get abroad antibiotic like general cure ...that black spot on his tail looks scary....I'm sure some experts will be on soon

3. OP
    OP
    mytell1929

Ratings:
    +0
    Is that some type of worm or parasites in the last pic. The little white things

4. OP
    OP
    mytell1929

Ratings:
    +0
    He is finally swimming up right and eating now. I have had him a Couple days been heating and doing water changes. Bought some general
    Cure. But wonder if maybe I should try a Salt bath. Do u think if I set up
    My 29 gallon just for treatment if that would be better.

5. Charlie’s Dad

Charlie’s DadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +352
    Experience:
    2 years
    Anything you do is by far better than the neglect he was in. Kudos to you my friend!!!! From what I know, you are on the right track for him and ultimately water changes and good diet will put him further down the road. Dosing med is a great way for him to get more MPG too.....

Your act of kindness will be rewarded!!!!!

6. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,748
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Using GC will help but it will also make him a look lethargic as well.

Since taking him on has he been responsive? Some times clean water is all is needed. Are the holes increasing in size or decreasing?

7. Dawn Michele

Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello!!! Welcome to Fishlore!!! IM so glad you rescued the Oscar!!! Poor thing!!! These guys need BIG tank's and clean water!!! Make sure you keep his water clean & treating with Furan-2 for bacterial diseases would be good. I keep my Oscar Big Boy in a 125. Yes it is normal for them to have big googly eye's!!! It helps them to see what is on top of the water. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

8. OP
    OP
    mytell1929

Ratings:
    +0
    He is swimming much better. The holes appear to be the same. I have a 75 gallon tank I could put him in. But just wanted to get some advice on treating it then moving it. Plus I had just moved in have a 29 gallon. 55 gallons and 75 gallon. I had the 50 running but not fish yet. I Figured it was my best option at the time. He has started following my fingers or hands if I put the close to the tank. So responsive. Thanks for the advice. Anyway to tell if it’s a boy or girl and approx age.

9. Dawn Michele

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Glad to hear he is swimming better!!! Clean water will help him to heal also. If you could put him a 75 that would be GREAT!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  10. Dawn Michele

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello!!! How is your Oscar doing???

11. OP
    OP
    mytell1929

Ratings:
    +0
    He is eating good and swimming up right. He still seems to have some of those white parasites on him but as bad as what he looked I didn’t know

He is eating good. The hole on his side is the same. No worse

12. JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlakeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +127
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi, is that hole on his side you are mentioning the one on his tail? I think that might just be an eye spot. I have seen albino oscars hasve black/grey eyespots before. If it doesn't look raised or indented or if there is a somewhat similar mark (even of a different color) on his other side that is probably what that is.