Help I Rescued Albino Oscar From Neighbor.

mytell1929

Reaction score
Need advise. Please. I have always kept Cichlids but never a Oscar. I happened to have a tank I had purchased on a FB group. I had actually purchased it to put under my covered porch. It’s I believe 50 gallons At the least. So IT has been set up and running with no fish for the last month. Walked over to ask a neighborhood teen to mow my grass. I see this huge white fish in a 20 gallon tank only half filled with water. The fish had to lay sideways to be under water. I insisted on taking the fish. Insisted is my way of keeping it clean for group purposes!!!!

So I have it home. It wasn’t in a heated tank. The water filthy. After several hours it is atleast trying to swim upright. But is it normal for them
To have like google eyes??? It does appear to have some size of a needle holes on its head.

Should I gradually start heating tank and do epsom salt or I do have several meds but have only used for a minimal problems.

It’s there Universal treatment that would treat for a hole range of things.

The lady said her son brought it home from college a guy was gonna just “chunk” it. OMG.

I am aware I am in over my head but I could not would not leave that
71568aee94faa4fd8f220e64f1b30c18.jpg
355f89335a49ee61e2cc3a05fcdaf390.jpg
a7aa49e815cdf8cb603b88714321ca57.jpg
837c43bdc6b70ae77b741a29643c0434.jpg
ace23ea76756beb31e2329bd8900d0ce.jpg

50a63100d83099cb5f21e1a25cdcaa07.jpg
826d6127e45dc7cbad072b2f0e2241ef.jpg
]

Minxxy

Well Known
Reaction score
Oh man, ya I would gradually heat the tank 1 or 2 degrees an hour until you reach option temp. You can get abroad antibiotic like general cure ...that black spot on his tail looks scary....I'm sure some experts will be on soon

OP
mytell1929

mytell1929

Reaction score
Minxxy said:
Oh man, ya I would gradually heat the tank 1 or 2 degrees an hour until you reach option temp. You can get abroad antibiotic like general cure ...that black spot on his tail looks scary....I'm sure some experts will be on soon
He is finally swimming up right and eating now. I have had him a Couple days been heating and doing water changes. Bought some general
Cure. But wonder if maybe I should try a Salt bath. Do u think if I set up
My 29 gallon just for treatment if that would be better.

Charlie’s Dad

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anything you do is by far better than the neglect he was in. Kudos to you my friend!!!! From what I know, you are on the right track for him and ultimately water changes and good diet will put him further down the road. Dosing med is a great way for him to get more MPG too.....

Your act of kindness will be rewarded!!!!!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Using GC will help but it will also make him a look lethargic as well.

Since taking him on has he been responsive? Some times clean water is all is needed. Are the holes increasing in size or decreasing?

Dawn Michele

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!!! Welcome to Fishlore!!! IM so glad you rescued the Oscar!!! Poor thing!!! These guys need BIG tank's and clean water!!! Make sure you keep his water clean & treating with Furan-2 for bacterial diseases would be good. I keep my Oscar Big Boy in a 125. Yes it is normal for them to have big googly eye's!!! It helps them to see what is on top of the water. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

OP
mytell1929

mytell1929

Reaction score
He is swimming much better. The holes appear to be the same. I have a 75 gallon tank I could put him in. But just wanted to get some advice on treating it then moving it. Plus I had just moved in have a 29 gallon. 55 gallons and 75 gallon. I had the 50 running but not fish yet. I Figured it was my best option at the time. He has started following my fingers or hands if I put the close to the tank. So responsive. Thanks for the advice. Anyway to tell if it’s a boy or girl and approx age.

Dawn Michele

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mytell1929 said:
He is swimming much better. The holes appear to be the same. I have a 75 gallon tank I could put him in. But just wanted to get some advice on treating it then moving it. Plus I had just moved in have a 29 gallon. 55 gallons and 75 gallon. I had the 50 running but not fish yet. I Figured it was my best option at the time. He has started following my fingers or hands if I put the close to the tank. So responsive. Thanks for the advice. Anyway to tell if it’s a boy or girl and approx age.
Glad to hear he is swimming better!!! Clean water will help him to heal also. If you could put him a 75 that would be GREAT!!!

OP
mytell1929

mytell1929

Reaction score
He is eating good and swimming up right. He still seems to have some of those white parasites on him but as bad as what he looked I didn’t know

He is eating good. The hole on his side is the same. No worse

JessicaSwanlake

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mytell1929 said:
He is eating good and swimming up right. He still seems to have some of those white parasites on him but as bad as what he looked I didn’t know

He is eating good. The hole on his side is the same. No worse
Hi, is that hole on his side you are mentioning the one on his tail? I think that might just be an eye spot. I have seen albino oscars hasve black/grey eyespots before. If it doesn't look raised or indented or if there is a somewhat similar mark (even of a different color) on his other side that is probably what that is.

New Threads