I Rescued A Male Betta That Had Lost Its Color

MVILLONE

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was at Walmart buying a heater for my saltwater water change bucket and I saw all of the poor dying Bettas on the shelf. I found one guy that barely had any color but he responded to me well and his fins all looked good. I brought him home and bought him a 5.5 gallon tank with heater and filter. He responds to me very well and he eats well. He loves his freeze dried worms lol. Is there any medication I should be giving him? Will his color ever come back? I am already so attached. I have saltwater fish and never thought I’d have a freshwater tank but here I am. Last pic was day 1, others are day 5. A5067DE7-C34C-4684-9021-9FB078E69532.jpeg 9449AD6E-3969-4D6C-A0C5-252D0C8F36AF.jpeg
4AC480E0-8643-4608-BDE4-AE864BE01C5B.jpeg 9C5657FC-B7C6-4470-9868-671D6A3E93BD.jpeg

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's hard to know what colour he could rebound to. Walmart's not likely to get the best bred colour forms. That could be all he ever shows. It's kind of nice, even if it isn't intense.

An autumn rose fish.

MVILLONE

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's hard to know what colour he could rebound to. Walmart's not likely to get the best bred colour forms. That could be all he ever shows. It's kind of nice, even if it isn't intense.

An autumn rose fish.[/QUOTE

I can see some blue in his fins that didn’t show up in the pics. They had more healthy ones that were blue and burgundy colored. I’m hoping he will get some more color back but if not I’ll still love him. Thanks for answering.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
he could colour up but might not. some bettas are not as colourful as others. he doesnt seem to have illness so there isnt any need for meds

Sen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow, what pretty finnage! He's a lovely betta boy--I love his inquisitive look in the first picture. Looks like he's tilting his head because he's confused.

I don't think you need any medications, especially if he's actively swimming and eating well. Warm filtered water, space to swim freely, and a good steady diet are likely the best things to have now. No guarantee he'll turn totally different colors, but I think what color he does have will at least get a bit stronger/more vivid with the better care he's receiving now.

KaderTheAnt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe it’s a loss of color. He looks like a badly bred (no offense to him, I happen to find him quite attractive actually ) Cambodian. The reason I’m saying badly breed is because he’s not a solid Cambodian.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is a poorly colored Cambodian betta, so he probably won't get more color on his body (they are supposed to be completely clear on the body, with coloring only on the fins).

He doesn't appear to have anything wrong with him, so why would you need to medicate?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that has wonderful myself! His current colors aren't vibrant or glowing but he's very much an original and looking like he does now might have even tempted me to pick up another. I like him the way he is!

MVILLONE

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, what pretty finnage! He's a lovely betta boy--I love his inquisitive look in the first picture. Looks like he's tilting his head because he's confused.

I don't think you need any medications, especially if he's actively swimming and eating well. Warm filtered water, space to swim freely, and a good steady diet are likely the best things to have now. No guarantee he'll turn totally different colors, but I think what color he does have will at least get a bit stronger/more vivid with the better care he's receiving now.
Thank you! I’ve never had a Betta before but I could not leave him there in his little cup that barely had any water. I love how he will turn his head... never knew there were fish that could lol. He is a happy boy and I could just sit and watch him for hours. He’s very active. Last night though he spotted his reflection and wasn’t liking that other fish taunting him hahaha... I had to put a white dish towel up so he would calm down. Even if he doesn’t get anymore colorful he will still be loved. Thanks again for your response.

MVILLONE

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He is a poorly colored Cambodian betta, so he probably won't get more color on his body (they are supposed to be completely clear on the body, with coloring only on the fins).

He doesn't appear to have anything wrong with him, so why would you need to medicate?
I just wasn’t sure since he was living in such a terrible environment for who knows how long if there was something more that I needed to do for him. He’s my first Betta. I love how much he seems to like me. My saltwater fish are all a bunch of jerks that only use me for food haha

BettaFishyLuvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just wasn’t sure since he was living in such a terrible environment for who knows how long if there was something more that I needed to do for him. He’s my first Betta. I love how much he seems to like me. My saltwater fish are all a bunch of jerks that only use me for food haha
Yeah.... wait till he gets use to u and realized u feed him. He will definitely start begging, all of mine do it bedsides my three shy guys

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha Bettas are terrible piggies. Just wait until he connects you with his food source... he'll be jumping out of the water begging for goodies any time you're near

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom