I Rescued A Little Betta, What Is He?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Falena, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Falena

FalenaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi all!
    I won't go into too much detail about this little one's rescue because I find the subject very frustrating and I feel the topic would deserve a thread of its own. But long story short, a friend's family member (whom it was my first time meeting) a novice betta owner, thought it would be a good idea to give betta breeding a go, without fully looking into how much space, work, time and housing would be required to raise and sell the fry (It was more of a "cute little science project" to them). They became overwhelmed when the young started showing territorial behaviour and fighting, as they were never separated. This person had "read somewhere" that it was normal to just pick the ones you like and cull the rest. So of 13 surviving fry, 10 healthy 1 inch (without tail) betta were destined to be euthanized yesterday evening as if this were standard practice because this person apparently had no time to post ads or find a lfs to take them to. Of course, I asked to take them off their hands. This person had the nerve to ask for money for them too! I paid a small fee for them and surprise surprise it took me all of an hour to find a lfs that was more than happy to take most of them. A close friend kindly took on another, even purchasing a new setup for him and I became deeply attached to the remaining little oddball.

Now I've kept bettas for a decent amount of time but never delved into tail types and genetics as I had no plans to breed or show them. I've only had pretty standard coloured plakats and veil tails. So this little sweetheart is a complete anomaly to me, I think he's a double tail? but I'm not even certain about that as he has what I think are tears in his fins and a section missing off his dorsal? I've never had one so small so maybe it's normal? I'd absolutely love if any of you more knowledgeable betta enthusiasts could tell me his tail/fin type and colour pattern in more detail. And if there's anything I should be concerned about with him or his type?
    Sorry for the wall of text and thank you so much for reading through it all lol Baby betta.

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,532
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    He is a halfmoon double tail with an off butterfly pattern. The colors will likely change as he matures, I would guess he turns all red later down the road. The double tail gene often results in oddly shaped dorsal fins, mainly a few lumpy dorsal nubs nearest the head, resulting in seemingly missing sections. He looks plenty healthy to me, the slight tears in the fins should heal given time.

3. OP
    OP
    Falena

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thank you for the quick response! That's reassuring to hear, his oddly shaped bumpy bits worried me a little as I know some of the fancy betta types are more prone to health issues hence why I've never bought one, I worry too much. I'm pretty clueless beyond the standard, more common types. I'm glad to hear he looks healthy though! Thank you, he's only an inch so I'm quite excited to watch him grow

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Crazycoryfishlady

CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    he's so beautiful! What a shame this person thought ending that many lives was just normal practice...
    It's amazing they got such quality babies out of it, but unfortunate they're not going into the hobby the way they should have.
    At least you gave them a new lease on life!
    Lovely fish, and a lovely person you are!

5. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,532
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    As a betta breeder myself, I have and do cull juveniles that a) are deformed or sickly b) I have a hard time finding homes for (because they are not that pretty). IMO I see no reason to hold onto bettas and keeping them in little breeder baskets or jars indefinitely. So they are euthanized and fed to my axolotl. At least that way they get recycled. So I wouldn’t be too hard on the other person, though they really should of tried harder to rehome them.

That betta isn’t bad looking or sickly at all and if the others looked similar then culling them would really of been a shame. While he wouldn’t make the best breeder he is a lovely fish regardless.

6. OP
    OP
    Falena

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thank you! I think he's gorgeous too, lovely little character as well
    Yes, it is a shame considering these were all healthy and attractive fish that I'm sure they would have had no trouble finding homes for had they just made a few calls or online ads. Hopefully, now they've realised that was the wrong approach to take and won't do it the same way again.
    I feel good to have been able to give them a chance and I even got myself a lovely little buddy out of it. Thank you so much again :)

Oh I completely understand that culling is necessary with sickly or deformed fish, or even an overwhelming amount of fish that are unable to be rehoused, I too agree that it's unfair to house fish in small confines for prolonged periods of time. I'm not so much upset about that, it's more the fact this person went into the breeding idea with the intent of just picking a few pretty fish for themselves and had no intention of even attempting to rehome any of the others, though I do think this was a one-off and hopefully they'll not breed again or at least do a little more research into how to approach it a little more sensibly. I just think it's a poor mindset to enter the breeding hobby with. This fish's siblings did look very similar to him but, in my opinion, were probably better looking. That's why I gave them to the lfs as I saw them as having a much better chance at finding new homes, but again I'm not very well educated on what is desirable in fancy bettas. Thank you though! I think he's a cutie, I won't be breeding him but he does definitely make a sweet little addition to the family

7. TucanSam

TucanSamValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +47
    Experience:
    1 year
    He's so pretty! It's a shame it sounds like his colors will change :/ But at least you can enjoy this for now haha.

8. OP
    OP
    Falena

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thank you! I think so too, though I don't really mind how he turns out given the circumstances. I find it quite exciting in all honesty. I've never owned such a young betta, so it'll be interesting to watch him grow and change, however he turns out. I'm going to make a little photo timeline for myself to learn from :)

9. phishRfriends

phishRfriendsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +101
    Experience:
    Just started
    He is gorgeous.

10. OP
    OP
    Falena

Ratings:
    +124
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thank you! I think so too :)

11. Bibi

BibiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7

12. Bibi

BibiNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS!!!
    :kiss::kiss:

13. Dch48

Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,368
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How could anyone cull a fish that looks like that? He's beautiful ! It makes me wonder what the ones he kept are like. They must be absolutely stunning.

14. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,913
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    This is a true rescue story. Most times people buy a betta from walmart and call it a rescue.

Great story and a very beautiful fish.

15. Salem

SalemValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    1 year
    I'd be really curious about how his colour changes as time goes on- I find that the white and red ones always seem to change the most.

16. Crazycoryfishlady

CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Considering the neglect for the most part that those fish face, I would call it a rescue too.
    I rescued a feeder from a tank that was so black woth algae and growth you couldn't tell there were living animals in there.
    Not only that but surrounded by 30 dead bodies??? Yeah that's a rescue mission..

Rescuing a cull is always amazing though <3