I Regret Nothing!

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Except for the white sand I chose for substrate...

How do you guys keep it clean??? I have a vacuum thing, but the sand is too small and it gets sucked up into my bucket, even on the slow suck setting. It's also a planted tank, so taking the sand out and washing it in a bucket isint really a feasible option...
MVIMG_20180514_160137.jpg

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been using that type of sand for over a decade now, and it took a little while to get used to it compared to gravel. You will loose some with every water change, but it will mostly be the loose bits on top that want to float around. You'll have to find the right distance to keep the syphon from the sand, I go about an inch away, and it really helps to make a swirly motions to lift the debris up so you can suck it up slightly above the sand. If you're using a bucket pour slowly and the sand will be waiting at the bottom to go back in, if it's dirty I rinse a few times in the sink and dechlor before putting it back.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I also endorse the swirl method. Just twirl a small circle with the end of your vacuum just above the substrate in the pockets/sections where stuff accumulates. When the stuff gets re-suspended, let the vac do it’s work.
Also, I use a much thinner than normal vac, the hard plastic tube is about 1.25” outside diameter, the flexible hose is about 3/8”, and the orifice between the tube and the hose is tiny, about 1/4”. Got it from Big Als.

RainBetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I have my vacuum on it's lowest setting, and even touch the sand, it'll suck it all up into the bucket ️[/QUOTE]

If you put the syphon a few inches above the sand, it will suck up the loose stuff on the top, but not the sand (hopefully!!) and the plants should handle the rest.... (?)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom