I Regret Nothing!

Kysarkel000

Except for the white sand I chose for substrate...

How do you guys keep it clean??? I have a vacuum thing, but the sand is too small and it gets sucked up into my bucket, even on the slow suck setting. It's also a planted tank, so taking the sand out and washing it in a bucket isint really a feasible option...

Thunder_o_b

We have pool filter sand in the 55. I use SeaChem Pristine in all aquariums. Seems to work.

Seachem - Pristine

Fanatic

I have a python vacuum, it doesn't suck my sand so long that I don't leave it sitting on the sand too long.

Kysarkel000

Thunder_o_b said:
We have pool filter sand in the 55. I use SeaChem Pristine in all aquariums. Seems to work.

Seachem - Pristine
Oh, thanks! I'll try that! I didn't even know that it existed lol

Fanatic said:
I have a python vacuum, it doesn't suck my sand so long that I don't leave it sitting on the sand too long.
If I have my vacuum on it's lowest setting, and even touch the sand, it'll suck it all up into the bucket ️

wodesorel

I've been using that type of sand for over a decade now, and it took a little while to get used to it compared to gravel. You will loose some with every water change, but it will mostly be the loose bits on top that want to float around. You'll have to find the right distance to keep the syphon from the sand, I go about an inch away, and it really helps to make a swirly motions to lift the debris up so you can suck it up slightly above the sand. If you're using a bucket pour slowly and the sand will be waiting at the bottom to go back in, if it's dirty I rinse a few times in the sink and dechlor before putting it back.

dwarfpufferlover

Thunder_o_b said:

Seachem - Pristine
Thunder_o_b

Could you use Pristine to help combat brown algae/ diatoms ?

bitseriously

I also endorse the swirl method. Just twirl a small circle with the end of your vacuum just above the substrate in the pockets/sections where stuff accumulates. When the stuff gets re-suspended, let the vac do it’s work.
Also, I use a much thinner than normal vac, the hard plastic tube is about 1.25” outside diameter, the flexible hose is about 3/8”, and the orifice between the tube and the hose is tiny, about 1/4”. Got it from Big Als.

Thunder_o_b

dwarfpufferlover said:
Thunder_o_b

Could you use Pristine to help combat brown algae/ diatoms ?
No, Pristine is a bacteria that feeds on organic compounds. Ottos or nitrite snails are very good at controlling diatoms.

bitseriously

RainBetta

If I have my vacuum on it's lowest setting, and even touch the sand, it'll suck it all up into the bucket ️[/QUOTE]

If you put the syphon a few inches above the sand, it will suck up the loose stuff on the top, but not the sand (hopefully!!) and the plants should handle the rest.... (?)

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom