I recently had a German Blue Ram die after putting RO water in my tank, trying to figure out why.

MangoPulp

Reaction score
I got a GBR a few weeks ago, and it was doing great. A day prior to putting the GBR in my tank, I did a 50% water change and refilled that 50% with RO water. So when I put it in, I was running 50 % tap water and 50% RO water. (I have a 46 gallon).

The last few weeks it’s been doing great. It looked good and was very colorful and swimming all over. Two days ago I did another water change and replaced the water with RO water, so at this point my tank is mostly RO water rather than tap. Immediately after this change my GBR starting acting different, and hovering at the top of the tank which it’s never done before. Today it died.

Does this have anything to do with KH? It’s really the only thing that changed with the new water being put in. I raised the KH close to where it was prior to the water change. Also, maybe the water temp? It was 78 degrees prior to the change, and dropped to about 75 or 76 for a small time while the new water was being added. Any ideas?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can't just go with X % ro without knowing much more .
IMO pH/KH/GH are very vague and not accurate representation of the change made in the water .
If he was well in 50/50 I would have kept it that way ..But that was a shot in the dark too huh ?
I know my parameters so I don't test ..
TDS is where it is at for the complete picture ..
You need to know your other parameters [all should as a baseline]but after that the difference people doing what you are doing [mixing RO with tap] will only be clearly noted with a TDS pen [mine is under $20 HM3 TDS meter ]
my water is 7.6 pH /2-3 KH /9 GH with a TDS of 350+
My ro is 7-7.2 pH /1-2 KH /5-7 GH with a TDS of 20
Try to find the number that changed the most ?? It's the one I think is best to measure my water by ?
I mix my tap back with RO to get 100 for my breeding .
I raise my rams in my tap straight out after 2 months .350 +
Many breed in it I just don't encourage it ..
Sorry you lost your fish ..

bwer2

Reaction score
That temp is too low...even 80 is too low and will lower their lifespan

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RO water and normal tap have very different parameters. Tap has a pH of usually around 7. RO has a pH of around 4. Tap has some beneficial minerals, RO has none. If it was mostly RO with no added nutrients, he could've died of being malnourished or having mineral deficiency. This happens in humans as well. If you drink too much RO, bottled, or distilled water, you can have mineral deficiency, which can effect you in the long-term. Those are just guesses, though. Hopefully you know what happened...

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
JustAFishServant said:
RO water and normal tap have very different parameters. Tap has a pH of usually around 7. RO has a pH of around 4. Tap has some beneficial minerals, RO has none. If it was mostly RO with no added nutrients, he could've died of being malnourished or having mineral deficiency. This happens in humans as well. If you drink too much RO, bottled, or distilled water, you can have mineral deficiency, which can effect you in the long-term. Those are just guesses, though. Hopefully you know what happened...
I have seen many people mix RO and tap and have been fine....

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FinalFins said:
I have seen many people mix RO and tap and have been fine....
Mixing both RO and tap allow at least some beneficial minerals inside the water. However, pure RO is not suitable and must have minerals and nutrients added to make it suitable.

New Threads