I Recently Added A Golden Chinese Algae Eater To My Tanks And Now All My Ghost Shrimp Are Missing?!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Victor Noda, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Victor Noda

Victor NodaValued MemberMember

Either the Golden CAE is scaring my colonies of Ghost Shrimp to the bushes or... Say...do CAE eat Ghost shrimps? Thanks in advance, Vic.

2. Artemis2

Artemis2Valued MemberMember

To tell you the truth they were probably eaten. The CAEs will eat the shrimp and they will eat almost everything they can get in their mouths (even partially), and become increasingly aggressive as they age.

3. Marcus Hu

Marcus HuNew MemberMember

not Trying to scare you, but soon your CAE will be the sole survivor of your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Victor Noda

:eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_O:oops:...darn it. They do a really good job of cleaning up, but I thought they were Algae Eaters...I still have my favorite 2 Amano Shrimp in there that I've had for a couple years...I think...my wife said she thought she saw them a couple days ago.

5. Marcus Hu

Marcus HuNew MemberMember

They eat algae when they are young, when they fully grow, they are big and eat everything, they even eat smaller fish or nastier, suck and destroy their slime coat.

6. OP
    OP
    Victor Noda

Well that's pretty much it. I'm gonna go take them back to my LFS this weekend. They must have doubled their size already, I wonder if they'll give me twice my money back? :)

7. abcdefghiValued MemberMember

See if they have any Siamese Algae Eaters, If I remember correctly the Chinese and Siamese (and Flying Foxes) often get confused, the SAE is the one to get (I believe @Dave125g has some and can confirm) as they stay relatively small and are peaceful unlike the CAE or Flying Fox.

8. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

You are correct. Of the 3 the one you want least is the CAE. SAEs will get up to 6 inches. Flying foxes slightly smaller but more aggressive.

CAEs will eat algae as a juvenile, after that they eat the slime coat on sleeping tank mates. CAEs are really only good in a species only tank. Basically there good for nothing. I dont know why there so commonly sold.

9. EelInUrFace

EelInUrFaceNew MemberMember

Probably because they are so good looking. But yeah they should be marked as aggressive when older.

10. Dave125g

I think these guys are pretty. I think the CAE should be called Chinese slime sucker. They stop eating algae at about 4-5 months old. I think there just easy to breed and inexpensive. 0921181000a.jpg

11. OP
    OP
    Victor Noda

I thought the bright gold colored ones that I bought were going to grow to 6 inches and didn't even know about their leech like traits. I am no longer a fan of golden CAE

12. KalykeWell Known MemberMember

I'm still saying and no one listens to me, that the best algae eater is a nerite snail. These snails (kind of pricey at about $2.50 each) will clean up every plant you have, all the glass, wood and rocks. They are beautiful, peaceful, and will not breed without salt water. They are also so very beautiful, especially the black and yellow striped ones, they also have red, honey gold, and olive green. I put 15 in a 75-gallon tank overrun with black algae and they ate it all.

I had Siamese algae eaters, and even they are not interested in algae when they grow up.

13. Dave125g

Yea there's lots of different color morphs in many fish of the same species. It's too bad the LFS didn't tell you about these things. I find it hard to believe the don't know.

The picture I posted of my full grown SAEs were eating algae in the picture. Nirites are good algae eaters too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  14. Marzahtha

MarzahthaValued MemberMember

I love my Nerite snail. It does an awesome job cleaning up my algae, in addition to the pond and bladder snails that hitchhiked with plants. :) I think the snails are just as much fun to watch as the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice