I really want one, how do you pick

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

So I think I have been bitten by the betta bug. Now that I have to have one, how do you pick. Every time I go to the lfs I see those betta in those pitiful cups and most look half dead:eek:. How do you get one that is in decent health, what do you look for:;dk. Since this will be my first one, I would like for it to stand a chance at living. I have a 10 gallon cycled tank that my goldfish lives in temporarily. He will be moving to a 20 gallon, yay. Thanks much

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It's easy to get bitten by the betta bug around here. lol ask Ted ;)
    Imo, Bettas are special fish. When you go look at them, there's usually one that will really stand out and send his/her betta vibes saying pick me! pick me! lol
    You'll see. lol
    Anyway. Look for a betta that is active and interactive with you when you pick up his cup or pay attention to him. Fins should be in tact, if possible. Torn fins or mild fin rot can be healed once they get into a nice clean, warm cycled tank. Look for good coloring, although they'll usually color up nicely once you get them home. You'll want to avoid obvious pale blotchyness, ich, fungus or bloated belly.
    I'm sure I'm forgetting something......
    Members have brought home sick bettas and have been able to bring them back to good health.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you bring your baby home.

3. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

What Lucy said is a great guide. I look for general behavior; are they listless or moving around? I tend to pick the ones that flare up at other bettas, shows they're fiesty. I look for ich, obvious injury/fungus/etc, and check out the fins to see if they're in good condition. I also look at breathing, etc.

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I only get bettas from places that don't stock very many of them and either do water changes daily or keep them in properly filtered tanks. I tend to choose bettas that are unlikely to be adopted by others.

5. Thunder Member Member

Just like others had said, it is quite basically the same for any fish that you're looking to bring home. I recently bought one and when I brought him home, he became much more darker. So, you may want to assume they'll get darker.

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

It's true that bettas that come from those death cups usually develop bolder, brighter colors after they come home and receive proper water conditions and room to stretch their fins. :)

I'm always the kind who knows what type of fish I want, but I choose the specific one based on that "it" factor. They just speak to you. :)

7. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have looked at many but the only ones that I see are in those little cups with very little water. They look like they are a breath away from dying. I will keep looking but I have already decided that I want a male. Hopefully I will find a decent boy, I will post pics once I have picked one. Since it will live in a 10 gallon, do you think I can put something else in with it, maybe for the bottom like cories or ottos??

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

My betta won't accept tank mates but other have had luck with corys, otos, sometimes a snail.
    Have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out.

9. redlessi Well Known Member Member

thanks much:;group

10. click Well Known Member Member

I'm not a Betta owner (yet) but from what I've read around this forum, the way they get picked is similar to love at first sight. You just meet eye to eye and bam! you can't stop thinking about him ;D

...kinda cool, I have to admit.

11. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

It depends on the fish, but my female gets along with an oto, cory, and ghost shrimp. My boys, on the other hand, seem to kill anything that comes into contact with their tank.

Generally I think cories are good betta buddies, or otos. Ghost shrimp tend to end up eaten xD

12. theshiftys_jm Member Member

My betta's have all made the rounds through my community tanks. The betta's do fine with other fish. It's the other fish that can cause the problems. Betta's are lazy by nature, they like a nice slow current. Mine stayed hunkered down in the corner of the tank as they were scared of the busy nature of the pictus cats. Then you have to watch the "fin nippers," as well. I left them in that tank, (one at a time obviously), for a few days. I could tell they were miserable just from the bustling activity of the other fish, who paid no mind to the betta.

I ended up moving 2 of them to their own 1.5 gallon filtered/heated tanks, and my crowntail and his tankmate, a dwarf gourami share a 5 gallon.

I also had a female betta in with 2 killiefish, a pictus cat and a raphael cat. She loved nothing more than to terrorize the killie's. She didn't care about the Pictus cat, but she'd flare.... At a safe distance mind you, at the Raphael Cat. She could see the spines on him and knew that would make for a bad day.

That's my betta story.....

13. lorabell Well Known Member Member

I have always wound up with the one nobody else wanted....my newest one was because of his red white and blue coloring...Ijust got lucky because the personality went with it.....

14. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

My first betta, Maynard, I picked for his 'tude. He'd just arrived at the pet shop a day earlier and was already trying to run the place. My new boys, Waldorf and Statler, had been in a different pet shop for quite some time. They aren't real flashy so I guess nobody else wanted them. I couldn't stand seeing them in the tiny space allotted them in the betta section any longer.

15. Borisbbadd Guest

Strange as it sounds, I think they pick you......;D

16. theshiftys_jm Member Member

I think your right Boris. My first betta, Admiral. He's the one to blame for this whole fish journey! *LOL* However it is HE that chose my Mrs. and of course.... You know how the rest of the story goes!

17. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

So very true, I went to the pet store to look and see if the petsmart had any healthy gouramis and I came home with a female betta that lives in my 55 gallon tank.i always look at the bettas just to see if there are any nice ones and when I picked up juliet's jar, she looked at me and flared up and became very active. I fell in love with her and I took her home. When I got her she was white with pink fins but she has colored up to a very pretty pink with purple fins that have a beautiful irisedecent blue that glows when the lights hits it right

18. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I went to a pet store called monsterpets in philly today and it was so so sad the way they have the bettas in these little death cups. I mean it is literally about 1/2 cup of water for each one. They all looked really bad, some were already dead. I am going to keep looking until I get picked.

19. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Like others said, I believe the betta picks you. I have always been able to look at shelf after shelf after shelf of betta cups and be mesmorized by only one. It doesn't happen often but when it does I have to bring them home. This is why I keep extra filter media in my cycled tanks because I will literally just decide on a whim when this happens that I have to have the little betta! So then a mad buying spree starts to get the tank, the substrate, the plants, etc and before I know I've spent 50 bucks and now have to find somewhere to put my new tank. LOL. Like others have said - you'll know 100% when you've found the one for you!

Seeing as this is your first betta I would definitely follow the above advice to find one with spunk and the best health you can being that its coming from a pet store. Now that I have some experience keeping bettas I recently rescued one with finrot that I doubted anyone else would buy and in the future maybe this could be a good way to help you decide, too. But for now, definitely seek out a healthy one!

20. COBettaCouple Fishlore Legend Member

They usually pick us out when we're looking at them.